BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GordonC_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

I have two binary variables: treatment arm (arm 1, arm 2) and event (Yes, No) for each participant. I transformed my participant-level data into a long format summary data (so now I have 3 variables: count, arm and event). My goal is to compute the relative risk of event in arm 1 comparing to arm 2, and the exact confidence interval. The problem is the frequency of the event in arm 2 is 0 (no one had event in arm 2) so I always get infinite RR. And upper bound of my confidence interal goes to infinite as well. Is there a way to avoid this problem? I learned that proc freq would add 0.5 to each frequency to ensure that the statistics is defined when there is 0 frequency table cells but I couldn't figure out the code. 

Here is my code:

proc freq data=data1;
weight Count;
tables arm*event ;
exact RELRISK;
run;

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Can you share the cell counts you are getting in the 2x2 table?

GordonC_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

my cell count frequencies are:

arm 1, event = yes: 5

arm 1, event = no :  70

arm 2, event = Yes: 0

arm 2, event = No: 26

Ksharp
Super User
proc freq data=data1;
weight Count/ZERO;
tables arm*event ;
exact RELRISK;
run;
GordonC_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

I'm still getting infinite relative risk with the ZERO option. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation