BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kbhagat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me to find out how to calculate Mahalanobis distance with two samples? 

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

What do you mean by "two samples"? Two different data sets? One data set and two different variables? One data set, one variable with two groups indicated by a different variable?

Perhaps you should include a small sample of the data that you currently have as working data step code so we don't have to guess.

kbhagat
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your response. I have two datasets: CIREN and CISS. We are trying to find out how similar CIREN data is to CISS. CISS is a random sample of the whole country's database. CIREN is a particular kind of crash. The variables we are using are Age, weight, gender, height, ISS score, and AIS score. I know how to calculate the Mahalanobis distance in one dataset. I am trying to find out what is going to be the equation if we have two datasets. 

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

You need to append both datasets CIREN and CISS.

Do not forget to make an extra column (named "SourceDS" $15) with two distinct values : "row from CIREN" and "row from CISS".

Then do a canonical discriminant analysis to profile CIREN versus CISS (as if you would analyze heterogeneity between clusters and homogeneity within clusters).

proc candisc data=MyData out=outcan distance anova;
   class SourceDS;
   var Age weight gender height ISS_score and AIS_score;
run;

BR, Koen

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

For Mahalanobis distance, see here :

Koen

kbhagat
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much. I have to try this method. I will get back to you if I have follow-up question
kbhagat
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation