BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

I am running a macro with lot of do loops. Because of this my log size is increased.  while I am running my code, I am getting pop up asking for save/print/ clear log options. How I can avoid this. From the SAS Manual I came to know default is 99,999 and max can be increased to 999,999 using DMSLOGSIZE options.   

I used OPTIONS DMSLOGSIZE= MAX before running any code. but I am getting the following error. I am using SAS 9.4 / widows. My SAS configurations are set by default ( Auto configuration, Macros and templates are available when I open SAS Session)

WARNING 30-12: SAS option DMSLOGSIZE is valid only at startup of the SAS System. The SAS option is ignored.

I would like to see the log while my code running.  How to increase logsize in my case. Is there a way where I can see  what is my logsize set up  number.

FYI : For temporary I am using proc printto log procedure or batch run ( if I don't have errors in code) or suppressing the Notes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

DMSLOGSIZE is only valid as an invocation option. Increasing the log size can result in sluggish performance for the SAS Windowing Environment (DMS). I always used PROC PRINTTO instead, as you indicate you've been doing already. This is a good compromise solution. For quicker access to the log, you can keep the alternate log file open in Notepad++ (for multiple submissions, it will ask you to refresh each time the log file changes) and ALT-TAB between SAS DMS and Notepad++ to review the results. Notepad++ does a nice job of handling larger text files.

If you really want to change DMSLOGSIZE, you can edit your SASV9.cfg file to set the option to your desired size.

May the SAS be with you!
Mark

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

DMSLOGSIZE is only valid as an invocation option. Increasing the log size can result in sluggish performance for the SAS Windowing Environment (DMS). I always used PROC PRINTTO instead, as you indicate you've been doing already. This is a good compromise solution. For quicker access to the log, you can keep the alternate log file open in Notepad++ (for multiple submissions, it will ask you to refresh each time the log file changes) and ALT-TAB between SAS DMS and Notepad++ to review the results. Notepad++ does a nice job of handling larger text files.

If you really want to change DMSLOGSIZE, you can edit your SASV9.cfg file to set the option to your desired size.

May the SAS be with you!
Mark

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @SASJedi .  I have notepad ++ but I never used this purpose. I will make good use of it now onwards.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation