BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
adcc5460
Calcite | Level 5

Purpose: How to calculate the ZCTA radius within a ZCTA?

Background: I have two groups of nodes: from and to. The two groups may locate in the same ZCTA (25%) but most of them had different ZCTAs (75%). I managed to calculate the ZCTAs distance for the 75%, centroid to centroid. But I don't know how to assign a distance to the other 25%. I expect to use ZCTA radius as a proxy for that purpose. Can anyone help me with it? Thank you in advance!

BTW, 5-digit zip code is the only available geographic info.

3 REPLIES 3
LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi adcc5460,

You can find a ZCTA table with square mileage A (area) for each ZCTA, see this website http://proximityone.com/cen2010_zcta_dp.htm.

Based on this table you can calculate a ZCTA radius R from A=πR2, then R=(A/π)1/2.

You can also look into getting an average distance between two points within a circle, see

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/135766/average-distance-between-two-points-in-a-circular-di...

Hope this helps.

P.S. For some reason superscripted 2 and 1/2 came out as subscripted 2 and 1/2.

adcc5460
Calcite | Level 5

Leonid,

Thank you!

Is there any supporting evidence to treat a ZCTA as a circle to do that?

Kevin

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Kevin, I was just answering your question "How to calculate ZCTA radius?" - What other than circle has a radius? 🙂

Lacking information about the ZCTA shape, circle seems as a reasonable approximation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation