BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sk1_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello powerusers, 

We have our main server and the business users have another one. 

Our server: SASAppExample1

Business server: SASAppExample2

I can assign normally the libname CARS for example in SASAppExample1 server, the path is:

LIBNAME CARS '/department/sasdata/Lev1/ETL/ODS/CARS'; 

But when i'm connected to SASAppExample2 server and i'm trying to assign the libname CARS its not possible, this is the WARNING:

28         LIBNAME CARS  '/department/sasdata/Lev1/ETL/ODS/CARS'
NOTE: Libref CARS refers to the same physical library as CARS.
WARNING: Library CARS does not exist.
NOTE: Libref CARS was successfully assigned as follows: 
      Engine:        V9 
      Physical Name: /departament/sasdata/Lev1/ETL/ODS/CARS

I've already assigned CARS library in server SASAppExample2 in SMC. 

The engine is V9.

Do you know what i need to do?

Thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Most likely the path/folder /department/sasdata/Lev1/ETL/ODS/CARS is defined on server SASAppExample1 but not on SASAppExample2. You will need to talk to your SAS administrator about getting a folder share set up so that path is available on the second server. This is an OS configuration and nothing to do with SAS.    

Sk1_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

There is no way to connect using "SERVER" in libname? we can connect to a lot of sources, oracle, db2 and etc

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You will need something that acts as a server process.

If you have SAS/CONNECT licensed, you can establish a CONNECT session to the other server and use Remote Library Services to read data from there.

If not, you need to have a network share defined on the source server and mount it on the target where you run your SAS.

A third alternative would be SAS/SHARE, but that is rarely used (and therefore licensed) these days.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

As I see in your question the libname assignment refers to a folder i.e., a location on the filesystem.

I assuming that you are connected to the first server and want to access a location on the second server.

In such a scenario, the disk on the second server would need to be mounted on a folder  (if the first server is Linux machine ) or mapped to the first server as a drive (If the first server is a windows server).
The location on the second server will now appear as a folder on the first server. For a user this is effectively a location on the first server.
Typically for sharing between servers there are shared drives and disk on one server is not mounted on another.

This activity of mounting / mapping the disks is something which is done by the Operating System Administrators / Storage Administrators. Your SAS Administrator can co-ordinate the activity and should be able to assist.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation