BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all, I am trying to add a single quote to a macro variable (&city) within a macro (%y).

After I ran the below code, &z returns a value with double quote which is "nyc", my goal is to get the value with single quote which is 'nyc'.

Any advices are gladly appreciated.

%let city = nyc;
%macro y;
%let z= %sysfunc(quote(&city,"'"));
%put &z;
%mend;
%y;

log as below:

GOPTIONS ACCESSIBLE;
29 %let city = nyc;
30 %macro y;
31 %let z= %sysfunc(quote(&city,"'"));
32 %put &z;
33 %mend;
34 %y;
"nyc"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I find it cleaner and more flexible to not wrap macro variable values in quotes except where it is used:

%MACRO inv(table,city);
PROC SQL;
  CONNECT TO odbc(id=&id pwd=&pwd dsn=inv); 
  EXECUTE (delete from inventory.&TABLE where city = %str(%')&city%str(%') ) by odbc;
  disconnect from odbc;
QUIT;
<more code here>

%MEND;

%inv(Mytable, NYC); 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ballardw
Super User

What is so critical about single quote?

Attaching quotes to macro variables except for very specific reasons is often a poor idea and can add a lot of complexity as may find that you need to use the masking functions like %str %nrstr or %superq to keep other code from misbehaving.

LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

The reason is this variable will be used as a filter condition via ODBC connection with MS SQL server (see below). SQL server doesn't recognized "nyc" or nyc, it only recognizes value within single quote like 'nyc'.

I could create another macro variable using call symputx within data step or simply using %let, but I just wonder if there is any way to add single quote to this macro variable within a macro.  

%MACRO inv(table);
PROC SQL;
  EXECUTE (delete from inventory.&TABLE where city = &city ) by odbc;
  disconnect from odbc;
QUIT;
<more code here>

%MEND; 

%inv(table1);
%inv(table2);
%inv(table3);
%inv(table4);
<more tables>
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@LL5 wrote:

The reason is this variable will be used as a filter condition via ODBC connection with MS SQL server (see below). SQL server doesn't recognized "nyc" or nyc, it only recognizes value within single quote like 'nyc'.

Actually, that's the only reason I can think of why you might want a macro variable value surrounded by quotes.

... but I just wonder if there is any way to add single quote to this macro variable within a macro.

@Tom has provided the answer.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

To the macro processor everything is a string. So there is no need to add quotes around string literals to show it you didn't mean to type a variable name or keyword.  So you gave the QUOTE function the three character string "'" instead of the one character string '.

%let z= %sysfunc(quote(&city,%str(%')));

You probably also want to make sure the value of CITY doesn't have unbalanced quotes or macro triggers.  Try adding %SUPERQ().

%let z= %sysfunc(quote(%superq(city),%str(%')));

Or use utility macro like %squote() 

LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

awesome, this works well

%let city = nyc;
%macro y;
%let z= %sysfunc(quote(&city,"'"));
%let zz= %sysfunc(quote(&city,%str(%')));
%put &z &zz;
%mend;
%y;

log below 

29 %let city = nyc;
30 %macro y;
31 %let z= %sysfunc(quote(&city,"'"));
32 %let zz= %sysfunc(quote(&city,%str(%')));
33 %put &z &zz;
34 %mend;
35 %y;
"nyc" 'nyc'

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
%let city = nyc;
data _null_;
	call symputx('z',quote("&city","'"));
run;
%put &=z;

I add that the values of macro variables almost never need to be surrounded by either single or double quotes, as this makes the coding much more difficult. I strongly urge you to avoid this.

Much simpler code works in almost every situation I can possibly think of:

%let z=nyc;
--
Paige Miller
LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks. I could create a macro variable with single quote in a separate step, but I just want to explore the possibility of adding single quote for a macro variable within a macro. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I find it cleaner and more flexible to not wrap macro variable values in quotes except where it is used:

%MACRO inv(table,city);
PROC SQL;
  EXECUTE (delete from inventory.&TABLE where city = %str(%')&city%str(%') ) by odbc;
  disconnect from odbc;
QUIT;
<more code here>

%MEND;

%inv(Mytable, NYC); 

LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

Great. This approach works really well. Thanks for the advice.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@LL5  - Great, glad you like it. You are also being consistent with the way macro values in double quotes work as well. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@SASKiwi wrote:

@LL5  - Great, glad you like it. You are also being consistent with the way macro values in double quotes work as well. 

Depends on how much trust you have that the macro variable values do not contain quotes already.  That is the added value that using the QUOTE function provides.  Note that if you are passing the string to some foreign system then you need to know whether that system follows SAS's rules for nested quotes or uses some other syntax. For example the Unix command shell wants you use the \ to escape embedded quotes instead of doubling them.

Ksharp
Super User
%let city = nyc;
%macro y;
%let z= %bquote(' &city ') ;
%let zz=%bquote(' &city ') ;
%put &z &zz;
%mend;
%y
Aniruddhaanu
Fluorite | Level 6
Data _null_
Call symput ('Month',put(intnx('month',today(),-2,'B'),monname.));
%put &month1. "22
While resolving macro variable month1 i want "22 ( single quite and 22 ) at the end of macro variable how i can add ?
Ksharp
Super User
Plz start a brand-new session, this topic is almost two years ago .
And you could let other sas experts know this question and get better answer .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation