BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Madronos
Fluorite | Level 6

Good evening, 

I'm doing the SAS course - Essentials and I am stucked in this activity: 

"

• Write a PROC CONTENTS step to generate a report of the storm_summary.sas7bdat table.
    • SAS Studio: Specify the path to your EPG194/data folder and the full name of the table.
    • Enterprise Guide: Specify &path and the full name of the table."

I'm using Enterprise Guide and I'm sending the error that I receive as attached.

Could you guys help me?

best regards,

Henrique Fontenelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Madronos
Fluorite | Level 6

I really don't know why or how... but I have just restarted the Enterprise Guide and submited the code again and voilà... it ran perfect!

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

There are instructions in the course, it is part of the required set up steps. Did you follow those instructions?

If not, go back and follow them. If you can’t  find them or it doesn’t work there’s a post on here from Cynthai that details it out in the SAS E-course forums. 

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

I am not sure what your macro &path. equals, but try this

/home/YOUR_USER_ID/EPG194/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat

Madronos
Fluorite | Level 6

I really don't know why or how... but I have just restarted the Enterprise Guide and submited the code again and voilà... it ran perfect!

Thank you for your help.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The setup program that we provide creates &PATH for you. Remember that in the instructions we tell you to save the process flow as AUTOEXEC. This is because every time you want to work with the Programming 1 data in Enterprise Guide, we create the course data fresh, each time and put it in your WORK location.

The reason we do this is that many students have EG installations where they are using SAS on a server and they have very limited ability to use write-access folders on the server. But even with EG, you always have access to WORK, so ALL your course data is written there, but if and only if you follow the instructions and save the data creation program in a process flow called AUTOEXEC so you will be prompted every time you open that EG project to make the data. Part of the process of creating the data is creating the &PATH helper macro variable. So if there is any problem with the data creation program, the chances are good that &PATH was not created.

As @Reeza suggests, go back to the course instructions and make sure that you've followed ALL of the instructions. Every time you want to work with the Programming 1 data, you'll need to open the project and answer YES when prompted to run AUTOEXEC.

Cynthia

alparslan
Fluorite | Level 6

I am having the same issue 

Reeza
Super User
You're not following instructions, please review the instructions and follow them exactly. In this case you're missing the beginning of the path required for the folder.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I normally do not open docx files. However, when I look at your screen shot, 2 things are apparent to me -- you are using SAS Studio, NOT SAS Enterprise Guide and since you have a top node in SAS Studio, called "My Folders" that implies you are using SAS University Edition in a Virtual machine. Here are my comments:

1) your screen shot does NOT show any SAS datasets in the data folder. This implies to me that you did NOT successfully follow the Course Overview and Data Setup instructions.

2) your SAS Studio screen shows that you are using Virtual Box to start SAS University Edition. In this case, the location of the EPG194 data folder should be

/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data

(assuming you followed all of our instructions and you set up the SAS University Edition shared folder location as required by the University Edition instructions)

3) IF you did the setup correctly, then the location of your storm_summary data set would be

/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat

Here's what the color coding means:

pink -- top level folder path -- this is specific to how you are using SAS

blue -- folders we use in class -- this typically is a main course folder and possibly a secondary folder.

red -- indicates the specific file name and extension or the data set name and extension, as shown above

When we show a partial path like /EPG194/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat in the model code or the instructions for a practice or an activity we mean for students to provide the FULL path like this:

/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat  <-- SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine

/home/<your UserID>/EPG194/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat <-- SAS OnDemand for Academics

C:\SAS_class\EPG194\data\storm_summary.sas7bdat  <-- local install of SAS on Windows

&path/storm_summary.sas7bdat  <-- SAS Enterprise Guide

To run a PROC CONTENTS by using the FULL path name, you need to know what the full path name is. If you right click on the storm_summary data set (after it has been created) you can right-click in SAS Studio and choose Properties. The Location field on the popup window for Properties will show you the FULL path for any SAS data file or other CSV or TXT file.

Please watch THIS video: https://youtu.be/OZniWlafFEk which shows exactly how to create the data for the Programming 1 class. If you watch to the end of the video, you will see all the SAS files that should appear in your data folder, including the storm_summary data set. You must do the setup as shown in this video before you can run any of the programs for the course.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation