Calcite | Level 5

Here is my code

data ForKatie;
set floridam;
format Department_Name $Deptfmt.;
run;

Here is my file path:

"/home/u58028011/sasuser.v94/ForKatie";

I've tried using ODS and Proc Export, but it doesn't seem to like either of those. Are there any quick ways any of y'all can help me with?

7 REPLIES 7
Rydhm
Obsidian | Level 7

But ODS Excel should run fine. See example below:

proc format;
value $num
 '1'="One"
 '2'="Two"
 ;
run;

data test;
 today=today();
 format today date9.;
 number='1';
 format number $num.;
run;

ods excel file="H:\output_temp\test.xlsx" ;
proc report data=test;
  columns _all_;
run;
ods excel close;
ballardw
Super User

@FrustratedBio wrote:

Here is my code

data ForKatie;
set floridam;
format Department_Name $Deptfmt.;
run;

Here is my file path:

"/home/u58028011/sasuser.v94/ForKatie";

I've tried using ODS and Proc Export, but it doesn't seem to like either of those. Are there any quick ways any of y'all can help me with?

"Doesn't seem to like" is awful vague.

Are there errors in the log?: Post the code and log in a code box opened with the "<>" to maintain formatting of error messages.

No output? Post any log in a code box.

Unexpected output? Provide input data in the form of data step code pasted into a code box, the actual results and the expected results. Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the "</>" icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

At least show the code attempted.

Better would be to provide data with the "formats" that Excel doesn't like with the definition of the format $deptfmt..

Ksharp
Super User

Check 'tagattr=' style.

ods excel file='c:\temp\temp.xlsx';
proc report data=sashelp.class nowd;
define weight/display style={tagattr='format:@ type:string'};
run;
ods excel close;
FrustratedBio
Calcite | Level 5
It went through, but not all the way.....see reply below with code and log.
FrustratedBio
Calcite | Level 5
1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
NOTE: ODS statements in the SAS Studio environment may disable some output features.
74 ods excel file='c:/home/u58028011/sasuser.v94/010120-052621_COVID Pandemic Associate Events_ViaOne.xlsx';
75 proc report data=FloridaM nowd;
76 define weight/display style={tagattr='format:@ type:string'};
77 run;

WARNING: weight is not in the report definition.
NOTE: There were 1107 observations read from the data set WORK.FLORIDAM.
NOTE: PROCEDURE REPORT used (Total process time):
real time 18.01 seconds
user cpu time 17.84 seconds
system cpu time 0.17 seconds
memory 170427.92k
OS Memory 231644.00k
Timestamp 07/19/2021 07:12:03 PM
Step Count 74 Switch Count 1
Page Faults 0
Page Reclaims 45061
Page Swaps 0
Voluntary Context Switches 30
Involuntary Context Switches 22
Block Input Operations 0
Block Output Operations 5952

78 ods excel close;
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/c:/home/u58028011/sasuser.v94/010120-052621_COVID Pandemic
Associate Events_ViaOne.xlsx.
80 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

These are the notes

This is the attempted code

ods excel file='c:/home/u58028011/sasuser.v94/010120-052621_COVID Pandemic Associate Events_ViaOne.xlsx';
proc report data=FloridaM nowd;
define weight/display style={tagattr='format:@ type:string'};
run;
ods excel close;

Thanks!
Ksharp
Super User

I just gave you an example . You can find other format in Excel:

Ksharp_0-1626782641774.png

And also could find out more example about 'tagattrs' in support.sas.com .

Or Calling @Cynthia_sas  , she have more experience about this style .

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

One of your issues is with the value for the FILE= option in your ODS statement:

Cynthia_sas_0-1626792968337.png

The C: part of the path is highlighted in pink because SAS OnDemand for Academics is a Linux/Unix box and does NOT have a C: drive. So this reference to C: will generate an error, as you showed:

Cynthia_sas_1-1626793124280.png

So, when the OnDemand server went to look for c:/home... location, it didn't find it and so it looked in the default working folder on the server, didn't find it and issued an error message.

If you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics, you should always start your paths with /home or else with a ~ (tilde). For example, if I wanted to create an ODS result file for ODS EXCEL on my SAS OnDemand account, I would write the output to my RESULTS folder (that I created under Files (Home) top node. And so my ODS EXCEL statement would look like this: 

ods excel file='/home/<myuserID>/RESULTS/example1.xlsx';
or
ods excel file='~/RESULTS/example2.xlsx';

My tendency is not to write files to my SASUSER folder on the OnDemand server because I prefer to create my own folders under Files (Home) top node in which to store my output. Under my Files (Home) location, I have a folder for Programming 1 (EPG1V2), folders for other classes, a folder for PROGRAMS, and a folder for RESULTS.

You can always find the correct path to a folder on the OnDemand server, by clicking on Server Files and Folders, then clicking to expand the Files (Home) top node. Make a folder to hold your results. Maybe call it RESULTS. Right click on that folder and choose Properties. The Location field in the Properties window will show you the path you need to use for that folder. For a FILE= option, you'd only need to add your filename and extension to the back end of the path from the Properties window.

You are getting a WARNING on the WEIGHT variable because you don't have a COLUMN statement in PROC REPORT. It's generally a best practice to use a COLUMN statement so you can control the order of the variables and statistics that you want to place on the report.

Until you have a working program, you will not be able to tell whether your format is working or not. I notice that you are trying to format WEIGHT as a string. Just remember that Excel can be very picky about numbers formatted as text, so even if you use TAGATTR, you may still see the "number stored as text" warning when you open the result file in Excel.

This user group paper https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/266-2011.pdf discussed the use of TAGATTR in the context of TAGSETS.EXCELXP, but the concepts also apply to ODS EXCEL. You will definitely want to use the TAGATTR if you want to send a Microsoft format for your number from SAS to Excel.

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation