BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_learneromg
Fluorite | Level 6

I have variable, test date, that is written as "2021-01-01" and was formatted as a character variable in the file I have. How can I format it to be a date variable, 01012021?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

One creating a new variable with an INPUT statement and assign appropriate format.

data example;
   x="2021-01-01" ;
   y= input(x,yymmdd10.);
   format y mmddyyn8.;
run;

There are a large number of SAS supplied date formats and you can roll your own with Proc Format for date values if you can't find one you like/want. the N in the MMDDYYN is to indicate "no separator" between month, day and year.

I have to guess that you want Month first as your shown example of 01012021 does not clearer indicate if the first position is a month or day value. If by chance you want day first there is a similar DDMMYYN format available.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

One creating a new variable with an INPUT statement and assign appropriate format.

data example;
   x="2021-01-01" ;
   y= input(x,yymmdd10.);
   format y mmddyyn8.;
run;

There are a large number of SAS supplied date formats and you can roll your own with Proc Format for date values if you can't find one you like/want. the N in the MMDDYYN is to indicate "no separator" between month, day and year.

I have to guess that you want Month first as your shown example of 01012021 does not clearer indicate if the first position is a month or day value. If by chance you want day first there is a similar DDMMYYN format available.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

A FORMAT in SAS is instructions for how to display values as text.  There is no FORMAT that will display a character string as a date.

You could use an INPUT() function with an INFORMAT (informats are instructions for converting  text into values) to make a new variable that has a date value.  You could then attach a format to that to have it print in the style you want.  

actual_date=input('test date'n,yymmdd10.);
format actual_date mmddyyn8. ;

If you would rather replace the text string in your 'test date'n variable then you could use the PUT() function with the MMDDYYn8. format to to store a string in MMDDYYYY style back into the original character variable.  But it wouldn't be a date value.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation