BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
zishaq
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a character variable called employment_flag of length 12 which either contains the values 1 or 0. 

For example:

I want to find out the longest string of consecutive zeros between the first and last 1 for each value in this variable. For example, the answer for row 1 should be 8 and row 2 should be 4. Note that in example 2 we have a string of 2 zeros and 4 zeros but I'm interested in the longest string.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @zishaq,

Here's another (but very similar) suggestion in view of the condition "between the first and last 1":

data have;
input c $12.;
cards;
;

data want;
set have;
do _n_=2 to countw(c,'1','m')-1;
  m=max(m,lengthn(scan(c,_n_,'1','m')));
end;
run;

In case of less than two 1s in the string the above solution would (deliberately) return a missing value.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

@zishaq wrote:

Hi,

I have a character variable called employment_flag of length 12 which either contains the values 1 or 0. 

For example:

I want to find out the longest string of consecutive zeros between the first and last 1 for each value in this variable. For example, the answer for row 1 should be 8 and row 2 should be 4. Note that in example 2 we have a string of 2 zeros and 4 zeros but I'm interested in the longest string.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

One way:

data example;
   input x :$12.;
   longest=0;
   do i=1 to countw(x,'1');
      longest = max(longest, length(scan(x,i,'1')));
   end;
   drop i;
datalines;
;

The above code treats the 1 as delimiter for both the countw and scan functions to break the string up into "words" consisting of only 0 and uses the length function to return the number of characters.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @zishaq,

Here's another (but very similar) suggestion in view of the condition "between the first and last 1":

data have;
input c $12.;
cards;
;

data want;
set have;
do _n_=2 to countw(c,'1','m')-1;
  m=max(m,lengthn(scan(c,_n_,'1','m')));
end;
run;

In case of less than two 1s in the string the above solution would (deliberately) return a missing value.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation