BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jlhutch
Fluorite | Level 6

Another newbie question. I'm working in SAS Viya and asked a similar question a several months ago and have tried to implement a similar solution for this problem, but haven't had any success. This is what I have:

data work.last_per_month;
month = .;
year = .;
  set work.last_event_01JUN2022
work.last_event_01JUL2022
work.last_event_01AUG2022
work.last_event_30SEP2022
/*work.last_event_31OCT2022
work.last_event_30NOV2022
work.last_event_31DEC2022
work.last_event_31JAN2023
work.last_event_28FEB2023
work.last_event_31MAR2023
work.last_event_30APR2023
work.last_event_31MAY2023 */;
month = month(asof);
year = year(asof);
run;

Each month I shift to comment to the next line, but what I would like to be do is check the current date and only pull in the data for months are before today's date. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why is it that sometimes the date is the first day of the month, and other times it is the last day of the month. How would a SAS program know which to use?

Would something like this work, which selects all data sets in the library whose name begins with work.last_event_ ??

data want;
    set work.last_event_:;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why is it that sometimes the date is the first day of the month, and other times it is the last day of the month. How would a SAS program know which to use?

Would something like this work, which selects all data sets in the library whose name begins with work.last_event_ ??

data want;
run;
--
Paige Miller
jlhutch
Fluorite | Level 6

The reason it's sometimes the beginning of the month and sometimes the end is because I got a little happy fingers with my copy/paste. Your solution looks better than I had any hope for.

Thank you!

mkeintz
PROC Star

Although the use of

will read all datasets whose name starts with "last_event_", it will generate different results than 

set work.last_event_01JUN2022
      work.last_event_01JUL2022
      work.last_event_01AUG2022
      work.last_event_30SEP2022 ;

First, if there are similarly-named datasets already present for later dates, they will be included even if not in your original list.

But even if such unlisted datasets don't exist, the resulting data will be differently ordered.  The observations will not be in the chronological order implied by your original list of datasets.  Instead, the data will be in a sequence based on the lexicographic order of the dataset names (i.e. in alphabetic order of dataset names).

Now, if data order doesn't matter, then you don't have a problem.  But if it does, you might be better off making dataset names whose alphabetic order would match the chronological order.  Something like

set work.last_event_20220601   /*instead of 01JUN2022*/
      work.last_event_20220701   /*instead of 01JUL2022*/
      work.last_event_20220801   /*instead of 01AUG2022*/
      work.last_event_20220930   /*instead of 30SEP2022*/
     ;

for which

set work.last_event_2022: ;

would generate the same data, in the same order.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
jlhutch
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm kind of stuck with the naming convention, but since those additional tables won't exist until the dates are past, the solution you provided should work

Thank you for taking the time to explain what code I can use and why it should work for me!

ballardw
Super User

Possibly a silly question: You show a bunch of data sets in the WORK library. Are you rereading data from external files that is that old? If the data actually changes that's one thing but if the data hasn't then the files should have been read into a permanent library. Then you create one appended data set in the permanent library. Append the new data as it is read.

Second question: You are asking this question on 01AUG2022 but include multiple data sets with names in the future and apparently are including the 30SEP2022 as a set " pull in the data for months are before today's date."  So how does 30SEP2022 get to be "before today's date"?

Third question: Do these data sets even exist?

/*work.last_event_31OCT2022
work.last_event_30NOV2022
work.last_event_31DEC2022
work.last_event_31JAN2023
work.last_event_28FEB2023
work.last_event_31MAR2023
work.last_event_30APR2023
work.last_event_31MAY2023 */;

The current names you use, if they are of your construction, have many issues such as @PaigeMiller brought up plus sorting and a few other issues.

If those sets in the /* */ do not even exist and you had a nicer naming convention you might be able to use a fairly simple list constructor.

If your names ended in YYYYMMDD such as 20220801 instead of 01AUG2022 you could use a list such as

set  work.last_event_2022: ;

Which would use all of the sets whose names start with work.last_event_2022   . As I said, this is if those sets don't exist yet.

jlhutch
Fluorite | Level 6

Not silly questions at all

1) They are not old or external datasets, they created earlier in the program to get month specific events.

2) The data for the extra months don't exist now, they are created earlier in the program, but only if there are events for those months.

3) No, those future months don't exist now, but will later. I'm trying to avoid editing that section of code every month.

I'm kind of stuck with the naming construct, but since the other tables won't exist until those dates are past, the solution you provided will work for me.

Thank you for taking the time to explain what code I can use and why it should work for me!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation