BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AshleyBright
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a delimited file like this:

abc|def|ghi

klm|nop|qrs

and I want the output to appear like this:

abc

def

ghi

klm

nop

qrs

Please help.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Couldn't you use something like:

data want;
  infile "/folders/myfolders/long.txt" lrecl=200000 delimiter='|';
  length var $10;
  input var @@;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do like this

data have;
input string $50.;
datalines;
abc|def|ghi
klm|nop|qrs
;

data want(keep=word);
   set have;
   do i=1 to countw(string, '|');
      word=scan(string, i, '|');
      output;
   end;
run;
AshleyBright
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your quick response Draycut! And the problem for me here is I have the data in a CSV file which is inconsistent. The file doesn't have a header. And the no. of delimited values are not fixed within each row. Moreover, length of each row exceeds the allowed limit. So I can't have this in a separate datastep. I should somehow finish this while reading it in the first step.

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

very similar to @PeterClemmensen solution 

data want(drop = i);
length col1 $ 3;
input @ ;
do i = 1 to countw(_infile_,'|');
col1 = scan(_infile_,i,'|');
output;
end;
datalines;
abc|def|ghi
klm|nop|qrs
;
AshleyBright
Obsidian | Level 7

@PeterClemmensen and @kiranv_ thanks a lot for your quick responses. I really appreciate that. The no. of characters in each of those delimited rows is as high as 100,000. So I am not able to hold that whole row as one record and my data is truncating. Could you please guide me on that please.. For example, I have abc|def|ghi|....| upto 40,000 characters.

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

just wondering to know whether you really need to read that long text. dos it make sense for your business.

AshleyBright
Obsidian | Level 7

@kiranv_ It's all delimited values and is very wide. And the width of the rows are not consistent throughout. Yes, it is important for me to read the data and load it..

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Have you looked at LRECL= option of the INFILE statement to set your INPUT buffer to a longer length? Or the LRECL system option?
Cynthia
AshleyBright
Obsidian | Level 7

@Cynthia_sas I have set the LRECL to 32760 with the infile option. I have rows longer than that 😞

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@AshleyBright wrote:

@Cynthia_sas I have set the LRECL to 32760 with the infile option. I have rows longer than that 😞

This older post seems to have an solution: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Losing-characters-during-reading-data-from-file/m-p/99...

art297
Opal | Level 21

Couldn't you use something like:

data want;
  infile "/folders/myfolders/long.txt" lrecl=200000 delimiter='|';
  length var $10;
  input var @@;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation