BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Colleen9400
Fluorite | Level 6

I am learning SAS and I am supposed to get this output by sorting and merging my 2 raw datasets. 

Colleen9400_0-1696562955260.png

The problem I keep running into is that I get close, but only the first 3 obs are correct. 

This is my code:

filename f1 "C:\Users\Colle\Documents\Grad School\A BINF 5210 Health Data Analytics with SAS\File1-1-1.txt";
filename f2 "C:\Users\Colle\Documents\Grad School\A BINF 5210 Health Data Analytics with SAS\File2-1-1.txt";
run;
data temp;
    infile f1 DSD dlm='09'x;
    input Salary Location $ ID $ Desc $;
run;
proc sort data=temp;
    by ID;
run;
proc print data=temp;
run;

data temp1;
    infile f2 DSD dlm='09'x;
    input ID $ Gender $ Age Mar_Status $ Weight;
run;
proc sort data=temp1;
    by ID;
run;
proc print data=temp1;
run;

data merged_data;
    merge temp(in=a) temp1(in=b);
    by ID;
	if a=1 or b=0;
    run;
proc print data=merged_data;
run;

This is my output which obviously doesn't match the one I'm supposed to get. I tried all left and right merge combinations.

Colleen9400_1-1696563164626.png

What am I doing wrong? Obs 1-3 are what I need but then obs 4-5 are wrong. 

I attached my raw data below. 

Again I am a beginner so I am not supposed to use anything "fancy" or more advanced than this level of sorting/merging/aliases  🙂 

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you look into your SAS log you will find:

Patrick_0-1696565205306.png

Your source file has 6 lines but you "lose" the last one. This is caused by your source file not having strings for all positions.

Patrick_1-1696564687194.png

Add infile option TRUNCOVER to read the data correctly. As a rule of thumb: Always use truncover unless there is a good reason not to.

data temp;
  infile f1 DSD dlm='09'x truncover;
run;

Once you've got correct source data you also need to amend your merge step to only keep rows where the ID's match.

data merged_data;
  by ID;
  if a=1 and b=1;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you look into your SAS log you will find:

Patrick_0-1696565205306.png

Your source file has 6 lines but you "lose" the last one. This is caused by your source file not having strings for all positions.

Patrick_1-1696564687194.png

Add infile option TRUNCOVER to read the data correctly. As a rule of thumb: Always use truncover unless there is a good reason not to.

data temp;
  infile f1 DSD dlm='09'x truncover;
run;

Once you've got correct source data you also need to amend your merge step to only keep rows where the ID's match.

data merged_data;
  by ID;
  if a=1 and b=1;
run;

Colleen9400
Fluorite | Level 6

Ah thank you so much!

I didn't use truncover because my professor didn't teach us that, so I wonder what she was expecting us to use?

This works though so I am using your solution 🙂 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Colleen9400 wrote:

Ah thank you so much!

I didn't use truncover because my professor didn't teach us that, so I wonder what she was expecting us to use?

This works though so I am using your solution 🙂 

If you are using LIST MODE input and some values are missing then place a period in the source text file to indicate where the missing value.  You can use period for either numeric or character variables as the normal character informat will convert a string consisting of a single period to an empty (really all blank) string.

data want;
  input name $ age sex $ ;
cards;
Alice 12 F
Joe . M
Sam 13 .
;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation