BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xxartpopxx
Fluorite | Level 6

I have two different datasets. One from the week prior and one for this week looking at various variables such as gender, sex, race and age (all categorical variables). I have joined the two datasets in the first step below in a proc sql (table joined). This creates old and new variables from each dataset. I am stuck on how to create a flag variable for significant increases/decreases of each variable in a proc freq that I can output. I want to know if any of the gender_new categories (current week) increased/decreased by 100+ from gender_old categories (week prior).

proc sql;
create table joined as
select coalesce(a.person_key, b.person_key) as person_key,
a.gender_old, b.gender_new,
a.sexor_old, b.sexor_new,
a.race_cd_old, b.race_cd_new,
a.age_group_old, b.age_group_new,
a.sex_old, b.sex_new,
a.peh1_old, b.peh1_new,
a.peh2_old, b.peh2_new,
a.dose_total_old, b.dose_total_new
from oldperson a
full join newperson b
on a.person_key = b.person_key;
quit;

/Create Flag Variable/

Flag significant increases and flag ANY drops. o Flag increase of 100+ for all metrics o Flag any drops for all metrics

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC FREQ will give you the counts of Gender_New and Gender_Old. You can ask PROC FREQ to create SAS data sets for each with the counts. Then you merge the two data sets, do a subtraction and if the difference is less than 0 or greater than 100, you set a flag.

Joining the two data sets doesn't even seem like a necessary step.

--
Paige Miller
xxartpopxx
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Paige

variables gender_old and gender_new for instance are already in the joined table.

what would the datastep look like to flag the differences between these

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@xxartpopxx wrote:

Hi Paige

variables gender_old and gender_new for instance are already in the joined table.

what would the datastep look like to flag the differences between these

It looks like a data step where you merge the two outputs from PROC FREQ, do a subtraction, and then and IF statement to determine if you have >100 or <0

--
Paige Miller
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@xxartpopxx If you provide representative sample data via a working SAS data step that we just can copy/paste to create the data, show us the desired outcome and explain the logic you have in mind to get from have to want then there is a good chance that someone will answer your question by providing working SAS code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation