BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
WB1_2018
Calcite | Level 5

I need to create something similar to the following for hundreds of records.

Have  Want 
OBSID OBSID
A  ASL00001
B  BSL00002
C  CSL00003
D  DSL00004
E  ESL00005
F  FSL00006
G  GSL00007
H  HSL00008
I  ISL00009
J  JSL00010
K  KSL00011

I need to create a unique 7 digit code for each record starting with SL00001, SL00002, etcetera up to the number of records.

I have been trying things like below to no avail. 

PROC SQL;
SELECT COUNT(OBS) AS RecCount
From WORK.DataSample;
QUIT;
DATA WithIDs;
SET WORK.DataSample;
OBS = OBS;
j = N(OBS);
DO DCL INT i;
i = 1 TO j BY 1;
ID = CATS('SL',put(i,z5.));
OUTPUT;
END;
RUN;
PROC PRINT DATA=WithIDs;
RUN;

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data have;
input OBS $;
cards;
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
;

proc sql;
 create table want as
 select *,cats('SL',put(monotonic(),z5.)) as ID
 from have;
quit;

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Reeza
Super User
DATA WithIDs;
SET WORK.DataSample;

ID = CATS('SL',put( _n_  ,z5.));

RUN;

Maybe just that instead?

@WB1_2018 wrote:

I need to create something similar to the following for hundreds of records.

Have     Want  
OBS ID   OBS ID
A     A SL00001
B     B SL00002
C     C SL00003
D     D SL00004
E     E SL00005
F     F SL00006
G     G SL00007
H     H SL00008
I     I SL00009
J     J SL00010
K     K SL00011

I need to create a unique 7 digit code for each record starting with SL00001, SL00002, etcetera up to the number of records.

I have been trying things like below to no avail. 

PROC SQL;
SELECT COUNT(OBS) AS RecCount
From WORK.DataSample;
QUIT;
DATA WithIDs;
SET WORK.DataSample;
OBS = OBS;
j = N(OBS);
DO DCL INT i;
i = 1 TO j BY 1;
ID = CATS('SL',put(i,z5.));
OUTPUT;
END;
RUN;
PROC PRINT DATA=WithIDs;
RUN;

Any help would be appreciated.

ballardw
Super User

SQL doesn't have a real strong connection to sequence, especially if you expect the first value of a current data set to get a specific value.

A data step however does, in fact there is an automatic variable _n_ that is iterated each time the data set does. So this should do what you are requesting. Using the put function with the Z5 format outputs a string  of 5 characters with leading 0.

data want;
   set have;
   length  id $ 7;
   id = cats('SL',put(_n_,z5.));
run;
WB1_2018
Calcite | Level 5
I am trying this:
DATA want;
SET have;
LENGTH ID $ 7;
ID = CATS('SL',put( _n_ ,z5.));
RUN;
But get warning errors below. Is it possible that _n_ is wider than 2 digits?
WARNING: Length of character variable ID has already been set.
Use the LENGTH statement as the very first statement in the DATA STEP to declare the length of a character variable.
WARNING: In a call to the CATS function, the buffer allocated for the result was not long enough to contain the concatenation of
all the arguments. The correct result would contain 7 characters, but the actual result might either be truncated to 1
character(s) or be completely blank, depending on the calling environment. The following note indicates the left-most
argument that caused truncation.
Reeza
Super User

Do you already have a variable called ID on your data set? If so, choose another name to avoid conflicts.
ballardw
Super User

@WB1_2018 wrote:
I am trying this:
DATA want;
SET have;
LENGTH ID $ 7;
ID = CATS('SL',put( _n_ ,z5.));
RUN;
But get warning errors below. Is it possible that _n_ is wider than 2 digits?
Use the LENGTH statement as the very first statement in the DATA STEP to declare the length of a character variable.
WARNING: In a call to the CATS function, the buffer allocated for the result was not long enough to contain the concatenation of
all the arguments. The correct result would contain 7 characters, but the actual result might either be truncated to 1
character(s) or be completely blank, depending on the calling environment. The following note indicates the left-most
argument that caused truncation.

That almost certainly means that you already have an ID variable that exists in your data set and it is too short to hold 7 characters. Placing the Length ID $ 7. before the SET statement would fix that, as the log says.

We did not mention that because your "picture" of data does not carry any characteristics or if the variable ID even already exists.

WB1_2018
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for that great insight! That was the issue (user!). LOL. 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data have;
input OBS $;
cards;
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
;

proc sql;
 create table want as
 select *,cats('SL',put(monotonic(),z5.)) as ID
 from have;
quit;
WB1_2018
Calcite | Level 5

Well, that was fast! This is my first time using SAS Community. This appears to work fine though I need to research and understand what monotonic is. Thank you this is really cool!

ballardw
Super User

And be aware that the MONOTONIC is undocumented and has no promises of consistent behavior or even presence from release to release of SAS.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sir @ballardw  I agree however here at my bank where I work, we work with 9.3,9.4 etc and it works fine. 

Sir @ChrisHemedinger  any thoughts from sas inc? Are you opposed to it? Paul D uses a lot, I am going with that confidence as I trust him wholeheartedly 

WB1_2018
Calcite | Level 5

I went with monotonic since I have not been able to get  _n_ to work. I would use it, if I could.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @WB1_2018  In most cases monotonic() does work though it's not documented like @ballardw  mentioned. Yes, so that does require attention. Let me admit, my true experience in the real world is limited unlike many veterans here whose experience equals my age. lol

The reason I posted monotonic() is because -

1. Many whom I work with are all SQL users who would rather prefer SQL spaghetti code as opposed to any classy SAS syntax

2. We use 9.3,9.4 in our various departments i.e credit risk, marketing, operations etc. Monotonic() transcends across like bread and butter. So that gave me the confidence to offer

3. I have seen my Guru  Paul D @ hashman  offering more than couple of times here, and that gives me even more confidence.

With all the above being mentioned, it's good to be aware just in case! 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Here's the thing about monotonic().  It's not documented, but it is well-known in SAS lore as a way to simulate a "record number" function in PROC SQL.

However, it's not an SQL function.  This works too:

data a;
 set sashelp.class;
 recordnum = monotonic();
run;

But you don't need this in a DATA step usually, because you have the _N_ automatic variable.  (Although _N_ isn't really "obs number" -- it's the number of times you've been through the implicit loop.)

Because it's a SAS function and not specific to SQL...you can technically use the function in PROC SQL.  But the results are nondeterministic (that is...not predictable) in some SQL contexts where PROC SQL might optimize your query.  In general, people find it works okay for the simple example that the OP asked about here.  But it's not guaranteed, and would be more likely to break down in a more complex query with joins or passthrough to a database.  "Observation numbers" are a concept that makes sense in DATA step and an analytical data context where "order matters" - but they don't make so much sense in a relational data model.

If your goal is a unique key for your record, and not an ordinal record number, consider using the UUIDGEN function.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation