BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sms39
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, 

I'm sure this is answered somewhere else but I can't seem to find it, so I'll ask here. I'm new to SAS and am having trouble converting a char data variable to a numeric one. The variable in question is a list of data all formatted as a mix of character: 002AB0001, 002AB0002, 002AB0003 and so on). I am hoping to change it to only the last 4 digits (ex: 0001, 0002, 0003). Any suggestions on the proper code for this?

I've tried a few commands, including the one below, but am not sure how to specify to SAS that I'm interested in the last 4.

Thank you all

failed attempt:

data new_set;

old_var = "002AB0001";

numeric_var = input(old_var,4.);

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
data new_set;
old_var = "002AB0001";
numeric_var = input(scan(old_var,-1,,'kd'),best.);
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
SUBSTR() will get the last four characters. If it's mixed length it's a bit harder, because you need to count backwards.

partial_var = substr(old_var, 6);
numeric_var = input(partial_var, 4.);

if the length of the variable does change you can use LENGTH() as well.

partial_var = substr(old_var, length(old_var)-4);

Leading zeros will be dropped in a numeric variable though.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@sms39 wrote:

Hi all, 

I'm sure this is answered somewhere else but I can't seem to find it, so I'll ask here. I'm new to SAS and am having trouble converting a char data variable to a numeric one. The variable in question is a list of data all formatted as a mix of character: 002AB0001, 002AB0002, 002AB0003 and so on). I am hoping to change it to only the last 4 digits (ex: 0001, 0002, 0003). Any suggestions on the proper code for this?

I've tried a few commands, including the one below, but am not sure how to specify to SAS that I'm interested in the last 4.

Thank you all

failed attempt:

data new_set;

old_var = "002AB0001";

numeric_var = input(old_var,4.);

run;

You are asking SAS to read the FIRST 4 characters as try to convert to a number.  But the letter A is not valid.

To get the LAST 4 characters use SUBSTR() function first.  If you know you always want from the 5th character onwards use can just use on argument to SUBSTR().  The width you use for the INFORMAT doesn't really matter if you want to read the whole string. The maximum width that normal numeric informat will read is 32 bytes.

numeric_var = input(substr(old_var,5),32.);

If the prefix length varies then count backwards from the end. Subtracting 3 from the length will get the last 4 characters.

numeric_var = input(substr(old_var,length(old_var)-3),32.);

If the numeric suffix length varies then start where it begins instead.

numeric_var = input(substr(old_var,findc(old_var,,'dk',-length(old_var))),32.);
Ksharp
Super User
data new_set;
old_var = "002AB0001";
numeric_var = input(scan(old_var,-1,,'kd'),best.);
run;
sms39
Fluorite | Level 6

This worked like a charm, thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation