BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
omars92
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a time series sample of 4000 firms over 18 years period (2000-2017). I am trying to find a way to use the daily returns in order to estimate the annual beta for each stock. I am unsure of what code to use. Any advice or guidance on how to structure my SAS code is highly appreciated. (SAS version 9.4)

My data is structured as follows:

PERMCO           DATE         COMPANY_NAME            RETURN        MARKET_RETURN       YEAR         PERMCO&YEAR

153                  2000-02-01                                               -0.15                                                    2000            1532000 

153                  2000-02-02                                                0.1                                                       2000

153                  2000-02-03                                                 0.2                                                       2000

153                  2017-12-28 

etc...

I would like the output to look something like shown below: (1 beta for each stock per year)

PERMCO             YEAR            BETA

153                      2000              

153                      2001

153                      2002          

674                      2015

2114                    2017 

etc...

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
model RETURN = MARKET_RETURN; CAPM beta is just the regression coefficient you can find at OUT=WANT table. beta(correlation ) is covariance of RETURN with MARKET_RETURN when both RETURN and MARKET_RETURN have 0 mean ,1 std .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ksharp
Super User

@Rick_SAS wrote a blog about how to run thousands of Regression before.

proc reg data=have outest=want;

by PERMCO             YEAR ;

model  RETURN = date;

quit;

omars92
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry, I should have specified that I’m trying to estimate each stock’s annual CAPM beta (ideosyncratic risk). I have thought of estimating the covariance of RETURN with MARKET_RETURN by PERMCO YEAR and divide by the variance of MARKET return but cannot find a way to get the covariance value without the covariance matrix
Ksharp
Super User
model RETURN = MARKET_RETURN; CAPM beta is just the regression coefficient you can find at OUT=WANT table. beta(correlation ) is covariance of RETURN with MARKET_RETURN when both RETURN and MARKET_RETURN have 0 mean ,1 std .
omars92
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Ksharp. The code worked perfectly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation