BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

In the 

https://documentation.sas.com/, I see the following code:

data one;
dtid=dhms('09feb21'd, 15, 30, 15);
put dtid;
put dtid datetime.;

dtid2=dhms('09feb21'd, 15, 30, 61);
put dtid2;
put dtid2 datetime.;

dtid3=dhms('09feb21'd, 15, .5, 15);
put dtid3;
put dtid3 datetime.;
run;

SAS writes these results to the log:

09FEB21:15:30:15
09FEB21:15:31:01
09FEB21:15:00:45

Can anyone please clarify why dtid3 is showing 15:00:45 for the time part when we have given 15 for hours, .5 for minutes and 15 for seconds?

For dtid2, I am thinking that it is calculating as follows:

we have given 15,30, 61 for hour, minute and second respectively. Since 61 seconds = 1 min + 1 second, hence in the output we have 30+ this 1 minute=31 minutes and for seconds, it is taking the remaining 1 second out of 61 seconds. Please, let me know if my understanding regarding dtid2 is correct or not.

For dtid3, I am not able to apply such logic. Please, help me understand how dhms works with the time part and why dtid2 time part is 15:00:45.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Moksha wrote:

Can anyone please clarify why dtid3 is showing 15:00:45 for the time part when we have given 15 for hours, .5 for minutes and 15 for seconds?

Let's see here ... 15 hours, one half a minute and 15 seconds ... without using SAS, that's 15 hours, and then half a minute and then 15 seconds, how many seconds is that? How many minutes is half a minute and then another 15 seconds? Please figure that out in your head, without SAS. Show the steps/explain your answer.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Moksha wrote:

Let's see here ... 15 hours, one half a minute and 15 seconds ... without using SAS, that's 15 hours, and then half a minute and then 15 seconds, how many seconds is that? How many minutes is half a minute and then another 15 seconds? Please figure that out in your head, without SAS. Show the steps/explain your answer.

--
Paige Miller
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks PaigeMiller. As mentioned by you, now I understand that .5 minutes is 30 seconds. So, out of 60 seconds (1 minute), we have mentioned 30 seconds only, hence minute part is 00 and this 30 seconds added to the seconds part and hence 30 + 15 seconds = 45 seconds. Is that correct?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Moksha wrote:

Thanks PaigeMiller. As mentioned by you, now I understand that .5 minutes is 30 seconds. So, out of 60 seconds (1 minute), we have mentioned 30 seconds only, hence minute part is 00 and this 30 seconds added to the seconds part and hence 30 + 15 seconds = 45 seconds. Is that correct?

Correct! 🙂 👍 💯

--
Paige Miller
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Ok, thank you very much PaigeMiller. Your answer helped me a lot.

ballardw
Super User

@Moksha wrote:

Ok, thank you very much PaigeMiller. Your answer helped me a lot.

Now with that understanding what would you expect for

dtid4=dhms('09feb21'd, 39, 30, 61);

As in what happens when hours are increased for 15 to 39 (hint: +24)

Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi ballardw, thanks for bringing this out. 

I have tried the code you have given:

dtid4=dhms('09feb21'd, 39, 30, 61);
put dtid4;
put dtid4 datetime.;

and output is :

10FEB21:15:31:01

My understanding is that : 39 hours = 24 hours + 15 hours. Out of these, since 24 hours is 1 day, date changed to 10FEB2021 and hence remaining 15 hours are mentioned for hours. 

Now, for minutes and seconds: since 61 seconds = 1 minute + 1 second, out of these 1 minute is added to 30 minutes and hence 31 minutes and the seconds part is 1 second.

Hope, my understanding is correct.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Datatime values are number of seconds since the start of 1960.

It is just when you format it for display using something like the DATETIME format that the concept of days or hours or minutes comes into play.

ballardw
Super User

Correct, though actually running the code should have been to confirm what you expected.

The behavior of the DHMS and the related MDY functions is a bit more flexible than sometimes expected. I had what I thought was an odd value when doing some conversion from some old files with a date value that was out of order. The records were very intermittent dates and could go a fair amount of time between measures but the records were supposed to be sequential. After reading the source file using the MDY function to build the dates one was out of order. The Day value was 67. So a November date, that likely should have been either 6 or 7 became one in January of the next year.

Part of the fun with ETL processes. Trying to track down the correct date on a file that originated as manual data entry 20 years earlier was entertaining.

Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you. 

Yes, the dhms() and mdy() functions results for some values are little bit tricky.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is just doing arithmetic.

DateTime
  = Number_of_days*(Seconds_per_day)
  + Number_of_Hours*(Seconds_per_hour)
  + Number_of_Minutes*(Seconds_per_minute)
  + Number_of_Seconds
;

Or

DateTime = D*'24:00:00't + H*'01:00:00't+M*'00:01:00't+S;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation