BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
umarigan
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to download a data but cant because it is big(195MB), so i am checking alternative to do this task. one way to downsize data size is using parquet format so I am wondering if there is a way to convert and download data with code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

You need a recent enough SAS Viya 4.

SAS Viya and Parquet files – additional features
Started ‎01-26-2023 | Modified ‎01-26-2023
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-Viya-and-Parquet-files-additional-feature...

BR, Koen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

We need some more information before we can give any valuable advice.

Were is the data now, in what format?

Download, using what method?

SAS version/product, on server and client.

Data never sleeps
umarigan
Calcite | Level 5

I am a bit new to this but my data can be seen on manage data section, I write a simple code to display some output as follow:

/* Print the first 10 observations **/
cas casauto;
caslib _ALL_ assign;
options casdatalimit=all;
options compress=yes;
%let path= /caslibs/public;
libname public "&path";

proc print data=PUBLIC.mydata(obs=5);
run;

to download data, in manage data tab in up left 3 dot section i simply select download table and it downloads a csv file with error saying "Table to stream failed with details: initial exception: 'Read timed out', converted exception: 'Read timed out'." along with name of columns in table

sas version: 3.5

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It seems like it's possible to load Parquet in Viya 3.5 from a CASLIB:

SAS Help Center: Parquet Data Sets

Data never sleeps
fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I don't have Viya. I do have Jupyter notebook.  Just run Pd. read_parquet to read in your parquest file. Write out to CSV and then use SAS proc import. to read it back in. I run batch to  process many GB size. CSV is your best bridge between SAS and open source data files.  It has a distinctive speed edge over SAS Hadoop Access. I once tested Viya and felt it still has too many layers in the background like 'old SAS'.  It may be optimizing something, but for 195 MB? you don't need that elaboration. You just need straight shot, simple and fast. 

Jia

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

You need a recent enough SAS Viya 4.

SAS Viya and Parquet files – additional features
Started ‎01-26-2023 | Modified ‎01-26-2023
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-Viya-and-Parquet-files-additional-feature...

BR, Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation