BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dominiquec
Calcite | Level 5

SAS learner here! I have a dataset with start and stop dates of eligibility; unique IDs in the data can repeat, with multiple start (eligeff) and stop (eligend) dates of eligibility. Within a unique ID, I am trying to 1) collapse any overlapping date ranges or 2) stitch together any date ranges that are a maximum of 1 day apart (i.e. one row has a stop date of 12.31.2019 and the next row has a start date of 01.01.2020). Any eligibility periods 2 days or more apart should remain as they are (i.e. one row has a stop date of 12.31.2019 and the next start date is 01.02.2020). Here is the code I've written so far: 

proc sort data=amlgroup.mbr_0;
by patid eligeff eligend;
run;

data amlgroup.mbr_1;
set amlgroup.mbr_0;
by patid eligeff eligend;
retain maxenr_dt minenr_dt;
if first.patid then do;
	minenr_dt = eligeff; maxenr_dt = eligend;
	end;
else do;
if eligend <=maxenr_dt then delete;
if . < eligeff - maxenr_dt <= 1 and maxenr_dt < eligend then maxenr_dt = eligend;
if eligeff - maxenr_dt > 1 then do;
	minenr_dt = eligeff; maxenr_dt = eligend;
	end;
end;
format maxenr_dt minenr_dt yymmdd10.;
run;

The problem I have is when I grab minenr_dt and maxenr_dt for the next phase of my project, as I only want the final, collapsed date ranges (see example of resulting dataset below). I need to drop rows where the date ranges are nested within a larger date range for the same ID (see example, I need to drop the first row for ID 123456), but still be able to keep all non-overlapping date ranges (see example, I don't want to drop either of the rows for ID 789100). Any suggestions for how to change my code? Thank you.

ID

eligeff

eligend

minenr_dt

maxenr_dt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Using two dataset name parameters (firstobs=  and rename=  (and yes keep=, so 3 parameters) in a MERGE statement makes this very easy with a sorted dataset.

data splicer_date_ranges (drop=nxt_:);
  do until (nxt_id^=id or nxt_eligeff>sum(eligend,1));
    merge have
          have (firstobs=2 keep=id eligeff rename=(id=nxt_id eligeff=nxt_eligeff));
    minenr_dt=coalesce(minenr_dt,eligeff);
    maxenr_dt=eligend;
  end;
  format minenr_dt maxenr_dt date9. ;
run;

Edit note: corrected the AND to OR in the do until expression, (and changed the inequality test).

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mkeintz
PROC Star

Using two dataset name parameters (firstobs=  and rename=  (and yes keep=, so 3 parameters) in a MERGE statement makes this very easy with a sorted dataset.

data splicer_date_ranges (drop=nxt_:);
  do until (nxt_id^=id or nxt_eligeff>sum(eligend,1));
    merge have
          have (firstobs=2 keep=id eligeff rename=(id=nxt_id eligeff=nxt_eligeff));
    minenr_dt=coalesce(minenr_dt,eligeff);
    maxenr_dt=eligend;
  end;
  format minenr_dt maxenr_dt date9. ;
run;

Edit note: corrected the AND to OR in the do until expression, (and changed the inequality test).

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

dominiquec
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! I was able to apply the code you suggested successfully.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation