BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KMU
Calcite | Level 5 KMU
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I've been writing SAS code for about a month now so obviously don't know everything and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about why my code won't execute correctly.

I am essentially trying to make it so that if a specific variable is missing ('.') then one macro runs and if it is not missing then another macro runs. I have tried various iterations of the if statement and it still won't run the first macro when a value is missing. In the below example the variable is only missing when i=2. I have only included the first 3 Questions but there are a total of 116 just for context.

There are 3 data sets being used in this code QCROSSREF1718 is just a list of the question numbers for 2017 and 2018, Survey1 is the responses to a survey for 2018 and Survey2 is the responses to the survey from 2017.

Please see code, log and example data sets below. Apologies for the long code. Thanks in advance.

options spool;

proc sql noprint;
		select count(*)
 			into :NObs
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;

select Q18
			into :Q18Y1-:Q18Y%left(&NObs)
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;

select Q17
 			into :Q17Y1-:Q17Y%left(&NObs)
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;

select DESC18
 			into :QDesc1-:QDesc%left(&NObs)
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;

select Weight18
			into :QYWeight1-:QYWeight%left(&NObs)
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;

select Weight17
			into :Q17YWeight1-:Q17YWeight%left(&NObs)
		from work.QCROSSREF1718;
quit;

/*Problem code*/

%macro Umbrella;
	%do i=1 %to 3;	
	%let Q17 = &&Q17Y&i;

%if &Q17='.' %then %do;
			%only18;
		%end;
		%if &Q17~='.' %then %do;
			%comp1718;
		%end;

%end;
%mend Umbrella;

%Umbrella;

/*macro to run if value is not missing*/

%macro Comp1718;
	%do i=1 %to 3;

%let Q18 = &&Q18Y&i;
		%let Q17 = &&Q17Y&i;
		%let QD = &&QDesc&i;
		%let Q18Weight=&&QYWeight&i;
		%let Q17Weight=&&Q17YWeight&i;

/*2018*/
			PROC SURVEYFREQ data=work.Survey1 nosummary;
				tables &QD
				/ row nofreq nostd nowt nototal;
				weight &Q18Weight;
				ods output OneWay=CrossTab18;
			run;

/*2017*/
			PROC SURVEYFREQ data=Work.Survey2 nosummary;
				tables &Q17
				weight &Q17Weight;
				ods output ONEWAY=CrossTab17;
			run;

/*Join tables*/
			PROC SQL;
			   CREATE TABLE WORK.Comparison&Q18 AS 
			   SELECT t1.&QD, 
		          t2.PERCENT17, 
		          t1.PERCENT18,
			  /*Calculate percent difference*/
		          (t1.Percent-t2.Percent) AS Percent_Difference
      			FROM WORK.CrossTab18 t1
           			Full JOIN WORK.CROSSTAB17 t2 ON (t1.&QD = t2.&Q17);
			QUIT;
	%end;
%mend Comp1718;

/*macro to run if value is missing*/

%macro only18;
	%do i=1 %to 3;

%let Q18 = &&Q18Y&i;
		%let QD = &&QDesc&i;
		%let Q18Weight=&&QYWeight&i;

PROC SURVEYFREQ data=work.Survey1 nosummary;
				tables &QD
				weight &Q18Weight;
				ods output OneWay=CrossTab18;
			run;

PROC SQL;
				CREATE TABLE WORK.Comparison&Q18 AS
				SELECT t.&QD,
				t.PERCENT
      			FROM WORK.CrossTab18;
			QUIT;			
	%end;
%mend only18;

LOG Errors below (showing that it is still just running %Comp1718 in spite of %umbrella if statements

#### Q18=F12 ####

#### Q17=. ####

#### Q18Weight = F12Weight ####

#### Q17Weight = . ####

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "Q17".

75          t1..

_

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, *. 

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

ERROR: WHERE clause operator requires compatible variables.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SURVEYFREQ

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

75          t2..

_

75          F_.

___

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, ;, _ALL_, _CHARACTER_, _CHAR_, _NUMERIC_. 

ERROR 201-322: The option is not recognized and will be ignored.

Data Examples below:

QCROSSREF1718 (this essentially just gives the columns titles needed from the two main data sets. The reason for all the different columns is that the naming conventions between years are not consistent)

Q18          Q17         DESC18           WEIGHT18        WEIGHT17

F11           F11          F11_Desc         F11Weight         F11_Weight

F12           .               F12_Desc        F12Weight         .

F13           F12          F13_Desc        F13Weight         F12_Weight  

Survey1  (this is fictitious data for example, the real data set has 18000 records)

F11      F11_Desc     F11Weight     F12      F12_Desc        F12Weight       F13        F13_Desc        F13Weight

1          Yes               0.5689            0          No                    0.2525             2            Sometimes      0.7895

0          No                0.5689            0          No                    0.5698             1            Yes                  0.2689

1          Yes               0.4475            2         Sometimes       0.6896             0            No                   0.7895 

2          Sometimes   0.6989            1         Yes                   0.5698             1            Yes                  0.5887

0          No                 0.4475            1         Yes                   0.2525              2           Sometimes      0.3698  

Survey2 (this is fictitious data for example, the real data set has 17000 records)

F11               F11_Weight        F12                    F12_Weight

Yes               0.3658                 Yes                     0.6989

No                1.0001                 Yes                     0.9875

Sometimes   0.3587                 No                      0.4578

Yes               0.2151                Sometimes         0.3457

No                0.5877                 Yes                     0.4578 

Please feel free to ask for any clarifications etc, I tried to make this as clear as possible but this is my first time posting so might not be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Because macro language (unlike SAS language) is a text-based language, you don't need quotes to specify a character literal value.  So macro doesn't use a pair of ' characters to designate a character literal.  Just use the character literal unquoted.

I.e. this statement

%if &Q17='.' %then %do;

will fail, because the macrovar Q17 does NOT have quotes - and therefore doesn't match '.'.  Instead I suggest

%if &Q17=. %then %do;
	%only18;
%end;
%else  %do;
	%comp1718;
%end;

Also you can make your initial proc sql much more efficient, by simulataneously does all the select INTO expressions, as in:

proc sql noprint;
		select Q18,
		       Q17,
		       Q17,
		       Weight18,
		       Weight17
        into 
			:Q18Y1-:Q18Y999,
 			:Q17Y1-:Q17Y999,
 			:QDesc1-:QDesc999,
			:QYWeight1-:QYWeight999,
			:Q17YWeight1-:Q17YWeight999

from work.QCROSSREF1718;
quit;

Note that I use 999 as the upper limit instead of NOBS.  Don't worry.  If there are fewer than 999 observations in QCROSSREF1718 then the "extra" macrovars will not be generated.   And, as a bonus, there will also be produced a new macrovar: SQLOBS, which is the number of observations produced in the select statement.   So you can use &SQLOBS as an upper limit to any subsequent do loop you need to implement.

Just be sure to use a number (I used 999) that is not less than the maximum expected number of observations.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

One thing that sticks out is that this should probably be

%if &Q17=. %then %do;

instead of

%if &Q17='.' %then %do;

Macro variables are always strings and needn't (shouldn't really) be quoted.

ballardw
Super User

One issue you have is that you use the same macro variable name to control loops inside macros called by another macro. If you are going to do so you need to define the loop variable as %local before using it. Other wise the loop counter also gets set and incremented by the macros called in your outer macro %umbrella.

Then

%if &Q17='.' %then %do;

does not test if the macro variable Q17's value is missing, it tests to see if the value is actually '.'.

A macro I borrowed a long time ago:

/* macro to test macro parameters             */
/* returns 1 if the tested parameter is blank */
/* 0 otherwise, blank means all charaters are,*/
/* or are macro variables that resolve to a,  */
/* blank                                      */
/* param can be upto 65,531 characters long   */
/* if numeric and several 1000 digits long may*/
/* hang the session. (Windows 32 bit OS)      */
/* NOT a test for a NULL (zero length string) */
/* though may work for some of those as well  */

%macro isBlank(param);
%sysevalf(%superq(&param)=,boolean)
%mend isBlank;

Using that macro you would use

%if %isblank(Q17) %then %do <whatever when the macro variable is blank>. Or you can use explicit comparison with 1 (blank) or 0 (not blank)

Note that there is NO & for the macro variable. If you pass something that is not the name of a macro variable there will be a Warning about unresolved symbolic reference.

You will want to learn to set the system options Mprint and/or symbolgen and/or mlogic before executing macros while debugging them. Mprint will show the generated program text. The error messages generally make more sense in that context. Symbolgen will go through the resolution steps of creating values from macro variables. Mlogic shows results of logic constructs such as %if %then.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Because macro language (unlike SAS language) is a text-based language, you don't need quotes to specify a character literal value.  So macro doesn't use a pair of ' characters to designate a character literal.  Just use the character literal unquoted.

I.e. this statement

%if &Q17='.' %then %do;

will fail, because the macrovar Q17 does NOT have quotes - and therefore doesn't match '.'.  Instead I suggest

%if &Q17=. %then %do;
	%only18;
%end;
%else  %do;
	%comp1718;
%end;

Also you can make your initial proc sql much more efficient, by simulataneously does all the select INTO expressions, as in:

proc sql noprint;
		select Q18,
		       Q17,
		       Q17,
		       Weight18,
		       Weight17
        into 
			:Q18Y1-:Q18Y999,
 			:Q17Y1-:Q17Y999,
 			:QDesc1-:QDesc999,
			:QYWeight1-:QYWeight999,
			:Q17YWeight1-:Q17YWeight999

from work.QCROSSREF1718;
quit;

Note that I use 999 as the upper limit instead of NOBS.  Don't worry.  If there are fewer than 999 observations in QCROSSREF1718 then the "extra" macrovars will not be generated.   And, as a bonus, there will also be produced a new macrovar: SQLOBS, which is the number of observations produced in the select statement.   So you can use &SQLOBS as an upper limit to any subsequent do loop you need to implement.

Just be sure to use a number (I used 999) that is not less than the maximum expected number of observations.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

KMU
Calcite | Level 5 KMU
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone for your help I had to modify the code a little on top of your suggestions but it is now working as expected. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation