BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mohan_Reddy
Obsidian | Level 7
I have data set like below...

data stansys;
infile datalines;
input id name&$24. sal;
datalines;
101 Richard Rose           5000
102 Yao Chen Hoo           6000
103 Asha Garg Bette Long   7000
104 Jason Blue             9000
105 Susan Robert Stewart   8000
;
run;

Through this dataset i want output dataset with seperating as First name and Middle name and last name...

So please give a programme for this !!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@Mohan_Reddy wrote:

Here First name="Richard" and Last name="Rose"

if another records have two separate names in string you will take first name,Middle name1,Middle name2,Last name......No issues

And how many middle names do you expect in your data?

I also like to point you to https://communities.sas.com/t5/New-SAS-User/How-to-take-patient-name-and-split-into-first-name-and-l..., especially the message from PaigeMiller, showing that extracting name-parts is not that easy.

Try:

data want;
   set stansys;
   length first middle1 middle2 last $ 40;
   array parts[*] first middle1 middle2 last;

do i = 1 to countw(name);
      if i = countw(name) and i < dim(parts) then do;
         parts[dim(parts)] = scan(name, i);
      end;
      else do;
         parts[i] = scan(name, i);
      end;
   end;

drop i;
run;

If you want all middle-names in a single variable, i would use a regular expression.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

In a name like "Asha Garg Bette Long", what do you want the first, middle and last name to be?

Mohan_Reddy
Obsidian | Level 7

"Asha Garg Bette Long" through this You will take Middle name1="Garg" and Middle name2="Bette Like no issues.....

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Taking the first row of your data, both "Richard" and "Rose" could be first names. So please define which words are first name, middle name and last name.

Mohan_Reddy
Obsidian | Level 7

if another records have two separate names in string you will take first name,Middle name1,Middle name2,Last name......No issues

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@Mohan_Reddy wrote:

And how many middle names do you expect in your data?

I also like to point you to https://communities.sas.com/t5/New-SAS-User/How-to-take-patient-name-and-split-into-first-name-and-l..., especially the message from PaigeMiller, showing that extracting name-parts is not that easy.

Try:

data want;
   set stansys;
   length first middle1 middle2 last $ 40;
   array parts[*] first middle1 middle2 last;

do i = 1 to countw(name);
      if i = countw(name) and i < dim(parts) then do;
         parts[dim(parts)] = scan(name, i);
      end;
      else do;
         parts[i] = scan(name, i);
      end;
   end;

drop i;
run;

If you want all middle-names in a single variable, i would use a regular expression.

Mohan_Reddy
Obsidian | Level 7
In First row First Name ="Richard" and Last Name="Rose"...

In 2 and 3 and 5 Rows only you will Take First Name,Middle Name1,Middle Name2,Last Name like that i want output.....
ballardw
Super User

@Mohan_Reddy wrote:
In First row First Name ="Richard" and Last Name="Rose"...

In 2 and 3 and 5 Rows only you will Take First Name,Middle Name1,Middle Name2,Last Name like that i want output.....

You may also have to consider names such as "de la Cruz" or "van Dyke" which are not unlikely last names if you have enough.

Also do you have any titles such as Dr. Ms. Esq. in the data?

Of things like Junior, "the third", II and similar ilk?

If at all practical I would go the source and see if they can create a separate clearly delimited file with each of first., last and middle names.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation