BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Junyong
Pyrite | Level 9

Re: Need alternative of "Filename" statement with Pipe operator for SAS University Edition and Re: Bulk Download all my files from SAS Ondemand introduce the way to read filenames recursively via modify, replace, and dread without pipe.

data i;
    length i j $800;
    i='!USERPROFILE\Desktop';
run;

data i;
    modify i;
    a=filename("i",catx("\",i,j));
    a=dopen("i");
    if a then do;
        i=catx("\",i,j);
        j="";
    end;
    replace;
    if a;
    do k=1 to dnum(a);
        j=dread(a,k);
        output;
    end;
    a=dclose(a);
    a=filename("i");
run;

Usually, I use neither modify nor replace, but why can the code above read filenames recursively while the code below cannot?

data i;
    length i j $800;
    i='!USERPROFILE\Desktop';
    a=filename("i",catx("\",i,j));
    a=dopen("i");
    if a then do;
        i=catx("\",i,j);
        j="";
    end;
    if a;
    do k=1 to dnum(a);
        j=dread(a,k);
        output;
    end;
    a=dclose(a);
    a=filename("i");
run;

I wonder whether the two separate data steps are necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is not really "recursive" in the classical meaning of that term.  What is is doing to appending records to the end of the dataset.

A normal data step will stop when it reads past the end of the input dataset (or input file when using INPUT statement).  In this step since you are modifying the input dataset instead of writing to a new dataset the OUTPUT statements are causing extra observations to added to the input dataset.  So those observations written will be read back in later in the data step and when they are directories it will lead to more observations being added.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
probably you need to control the data step loop /iteration, more. With MODIFYstatement, the rules are different from the DATA step without. The second version (one data step) will stop an the end of the first iteration.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is not really "recursive" in the classical meaning of that term.  What is is doing to appending records to the end of the dataset.

A normal data step will stop when it reads past the end of the input dataset (or input file when using INPUT statement).  In this step since you are modifying the input dataset instead of writing to a new dataset the OUTPUT statements are causing extra observations to added to the input dataset.  So those observations written will be read back in later in the data step and when they are directories it will lead to more observations being added.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation