BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Dear,

I need to create a variable in data set 'ONE' by comparing DATE variable from dataset 'ONE'  and DATE and VALUE variables from  data set 'TWO' .

If there is a record in dataset TWO  with VALUE='N' and  DATE greater than DATE  in  dataset ONE,  then i need to create FLAG='Y'.  If no such record then FLAG is "N"

Only for id=2,  there is a record in data set TWO with DATE greater than date in ONE  dataset   and with value ="N'.  Hence only ID=2 populated with flag='Y'.    Please suggest in my code. I am getting all possible records. Thank you

output need;

id   date              flag

1 2019-01-18       N
2 2019-02-12       Y
3 2019-03-15       N

data one;
input id date yymmdd10.;
format date yymmdd10.;
datalines;
1 2019-01-18
2 2019-02-12
3 2019-03-15
;
data two;
input id date yymmdd10. value $;
format date yymmdd10.;
datalines;
1 2019-01-01 N
1 2019-01-11 Y
1 2019-01-18 N
2 2019-02-02 N
2 2019-02-22 N
3 2019-03-05 Y
3 2019-03-25 Y
;
proc sql;
create table three as
select *,
case
when a.date lt b.date and b.value='N' then 'Y'
else 'N' end as flag
from one as a left join two as b
on a.id=b.id
order by a.id,a.date;
quit;

6 REPLIES 6
mkeintz
PROC Star

Are you trying to produce one record per ID with flag representing the presence of one qualifying obs from dataset two?  Or do you want the traditional "one left join two" results, with one record per qualifying join?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11
Thank you very much. I need to output one record per output with flag representing the presence of one qualifying obs from dataset two
I need to keep only records from dataset one and create a variable FLAG with Y or N depends on data set TWO has records with VALUE=N and date greater than date in date in ONE data set
mkeintz
PROC Star

First, thank you for providing sample data in the form of a data step.  It's much easier to test proposed solutions.

Here's mine:  (edited to require date from two to be greated, not just greater or equal to date from one):

data one;
input id date yymmdd10.;
format date yymmdd10.;
datalines;
1 2019-01-18
2 2019-02-12
3 2019-03-15
;
data two;
input id date yymmdd10. value $;
format date yymmdd10.;
datalines;
1 2019-01-01 N
1 2019-01-11 Y
1 2019-01-18 N
2 2019-02-02 N
2 2019-02-22 N
3 2019-03-05 Y
3 2019-03-25 Y
;
data three (keep=id flag);
  set one two (where=(value='N') in=intwo);
  by id date;
  if last.id;
  if intwo=1 and first.date=1 then flag='Y';  /*Added "first.date=1" to properly satisfy date requirement*/
  else flag='N';
run;

Give the 2 datasets are sorted by ID/DATE, it's quite easy to produce what you want in a DATA step:

1. The SET  followed by BY statements tell SAS to interleave the obs from one and two, sorted by ID/DATE.
  2. The "where=" tells sas to process only obs from two that qualify for the value you specified.
  3. The intwo variable is a temporary dummy saying whether the (interleaved) record-in-hand is from two.
  4. The subsetting IF says to keep only the last record for each id.
  5. So if the last record is from TWO (and it is not a tied date wiht a record from ONE) , it therefore has a date that qualifies for your criterion.  And if not, then it doesn't, so calculate flag accordingly.
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

mkeintz
PROC Star

An sql solution

proc sql;
  create table threeb as
  select a.id, 
    case when b.date>a.date then 'Y'
	     else 'N'
	end as flag

from one as a
	left join two (where=(value='N')) as b

on a.id=b.id
	group by a.id
	having b.date=max(b.date) ;
quit;

knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Thank you very much for sql code. It gives me the output i need after adding a.date in select statement. As i need to keep DATE variable  from dataset ONE.

But in the data step code, i got the correct  FLAG variable values but I am not able to keep same DATE variable values from dataset ONE. After keeping DATE variable in Keep statement, I am getting DATE values from dataset  TWO  for id=2.

code worked

proc sql;
  create table threeb as
  select a.id, a.date
    case when b.date>a.date then 'Y'
	     else 'N'
	end as flag

from one as a
	left join two (where=(value='N')) as b

on a.id=b.id
	group by a.id
	having b.date=max(b.date) ;
quit;

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Translate your requirement directly as a correlated subquery:

proc sql;
create table three as
select 
    id,
    date,
    case when exists (
        select * from two where id=a.id and value="N" and date > a.date) 
        then "Y" else "N" end as flag
from one as a;
quit;
PG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation