BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
illmatic
Quartz | Level 8

Hey all,

I'm having a SAS programming metal block and could use some help.

I am trying to create a dataset(s) that mimics an excel report that has the following structure:

• Raw Data output with string variables like Retailer, Product, Brand, and Category and numeric values like forecast and actuals
  • A Pivot (#1) table sourcing this raw data taking an ABS value of a difference of two measures (example: actuals - forecast), but it only includes Brand and Category (so it is taking the difference the summation to only that level)
  • A second pivot (#2) table that contains the sums forecast, actuals, and other Numerics. But the difference between this pivot table is that it contains all variables
  • A Results tab that contains the output of these pivots via sumifs and contains slicers that are linked to both pivot tables. So that when, for instance, a retailer is selected it takes to total sum of forecast from pivot table #2, but maybe it will take the ABS difference from pivot #1

The issue I'm having with converting into SAS is when using those slicers. Due to pivot #1's live link to the raw data, when retailer is chosen it knows what amounts to sum up even though the variable/column doesn't exist in that pivot.

So I am having trouble summing up at the brand and category level, but still being able to filter-down on other variables.

What I've tried so far:

PROC SQL; CREATE TABLE PIVOT AS SELECT A.RETAILER, A.PRODUCT, A.CATEGORY, A.BRAND, A.DATE, SUM(A.ActualValues) as Actuals, SUM(A.Forecast) as Forecast, B.ABS_VALUE FROM WORK.DATA as A LEFT JOIN (SELECT RETAILER, PRODUCT, CATEGORY, BRAND, DATE, ABS(SUM(ActualValues) - SUM(FORECAST)) AS B.ABS_VALUE FROM WORK.DATA GROUP BY 1,2,3,4,5 ) as B ON A.RETAILER = B.RETAILER AND A.PRODUCT = B.PRODUCT AND A.CATEGORY = B.CATEGORY AND A.BRAND = B.BRAND AND A.DATE = B.DATE GROUP BY 1,2,3,4,5,8; QUIT;

^ This didn't work since we have brands with multiple categories, so the output was incorrect when selecting a brand filter with multiple categories. Worked fine for for all others though.

I also tried to just make a mapping table where I could recreate the pivot tables in theory and then just map over pivot #1 so it would contain variables like RETAILER and PRODUCT. This didn't work because there's no one-to-one matching. A retailer may have many brands. and a brand may have many retailers.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sounds like you don't want PROC SQL, you want to use ODS EXCEL and PROC REPORT together.

But for us to you need to provide example data as SAS data step code (instructions and examples). A lot of people ignore this request and provide data in some other format. DO NOT PROVIDE DATA IN SOME OTHER FORMAT!

We would also need to see a mock-up of the desired output (screen captures are ok in this case).

--
Paige Miller
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

when calculating the ABS_VALUE you can not call it "B.ABS_VALUE"

ABS(SUM(ActualValues) - SUM(FORECAST)) AS B.ABS_VALUE

should be

ABS(SUM(ActualValues) - SUM(FORECAST)) AS ABS_VALUE
PROC SQL;
   CREATE TABLE PIVOT AS
      SELECT A.RETAILER,
             A.PRODUCT,
             A.CATEGORY,
             A.BRAND,
             A.DATE,
             SUM(A.ActualValues) AS Actuals,
             SUM(A.Forecast) AS Forecast,
             B.ABS_VALUE
      FROM WORK.DATA AS A
      LEFT JOIN
        (SELECT RETAILER,
                PRODUCT,
                CATEGORY,
                BRAND, DATE, ABS(SUM(ActualValues) - SUM(FORECAST)) AS ABS_VALUE
         FROM WORK.DATA
         GROUP BY 1,
                  5) AS B ON A.RETAILER = B.RETAILER
      AND A.PRODUCT = B.PRODUCT
      AND A.CATEGORY = B.CATEGORY
      AND A.BRAND = B.BRAND
      AND A.DATE = B.DATE
      GROUP BY 1,
   ;
QUIT;

- Cheers -

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation