BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
epibio2021
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS users, 

I have read almost all the forums regarding converting character string to SAS datetime but none of them seem to work for me. I have multiple date variables that need to be converted. for e.g. one variable is called 'discharge_dod' and is a character type variable and the format and informat is $500. When printed, it reads as 

2018-05-04 13:30

To check the chronological order of dates, I need to convert it to a SAS format that has both the date and the time. How would I do this for this variable and all my other variables that are in the same character format?  

Thank you so much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Please do not post pictures of errors. Copy the the code of the data step or procedure plus any associated messages, notes or errors, from the log then paste the whole thing into a text box opened on the forum with the </> icon.

The text box is important because the message windows on this forum will reformat text and the diagnostic characters that SAS often supplies will not appear in correct position relative to the code. The text is also preferred because we can copy and suggest changes or highlight typos and such that are not easy or possible at all with images.

A small log file might look like:

99   data junk;
100    x="2018-05-04 13:30";
101    y=input(x,anydtdtm.);
102    format y datetime20.;
103  run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.JUNK has 1 observations and 2 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.06 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

Please notice that this starts with the DATA and ends will the messages associated with the data step.

The Array statement syntax is: the word "array", the name of the array (cannot be the name of an existing variable) then the number of elements and then the variable names. The order is critical.

Your new array with the values you show would be:

array newdt {39} <list the names>.

NO new {39} at the end.

The Format statement I used is to rename variables named Newdt1 Newdt2 Newdt3 etc. Since you created new variable names of Var1new etc. there are no variables of that name.

SAS Large economy sized hint: SAS will use lists of names like Var1 -Var39 to reference sequentially numbered variables. So your first array statement can be much shorter. With that, you will see that it is much easier to use NewVar1 - NewVar39 for the second array:

array newdt {39} NewVar1 - NewVar39;

You likely got a error because you had the "new" variable names just as list without telling SAS how many elements there were in the correct order. The way that the Old works is that is listing existing variables and SAS will treat the first name as the array name and the following ones as elements of the array. When new variables are created you must specify how many. 

Alternatively:

array NewVar{39};

Will 1) name the array and 2) create 39 sequentially numbered variables NewVar1 to NewVar39. If you use this remember to replace the Newdt[i] with NewVar[i].

My code had a typo and should read

newdt[i]=input(old[i],anydtdtm.);

to reference the new array elements. But that would be unlikely to result in an error, just a new variable with the last element.

The most common array errors for new users are 1) not matching the number of array elements which typically will result in an error of "array index out of range" or similar wording, or 2) mixing variable types in the array. SAS will allow only elements of one type, either all character or all numeric variables. If that is the problem there likely needs to be a lot of detail shared.

Another is that you are not getting an actual error but "invalid data" which means the actual value encountered in the INPUT function is of a different actual content. Possibly missing values, which will result in missing new variables or data with seriously different content. If the value is actually only a time without date, or missing any of month, day of month or year then the date is likely invalid and will result in warnings of invalid data. But we need to see the messages.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

To check the chronological order of dates, I need to convert it to a SAS format that has both the date and the time.

Assuming this is YYYY-MM-DD, then an alphabetical sort will put the dates into the right order. But to convert it to a numeric SAS date, you can use the INPUT function, like this in a DATA step:

data have;
	chardate='2018-05-04 13:30';
run;
data want;
    set have;
	numdate=input(chardate,anydtdtm.);
	format numdate datetime16.;
run;

--
Paige Miller
epibio2021
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,

How would I do this for all variables that need to be converted to datetime? I have 39 variables (n=300) that have a character value that need to be changed to a datetime value.
ballardw
Super User

If that is the only type of value then consider this code:

data junk;
  x="2018-05-04 13:30";
  y=input(x,anydtdtm.);
  format y datetime20.;
run;

You may need to use the LEFT function prior to the Input function if there are leading spaces. This would look like:

data junk;
  x="2018-05-04 13:30";
  y=input( left(x),anydtdtm.);
  format y datetime20.;
run;

Multiple variables would probably use a couple of arrays to loop over all of them.

data want;
   set have;
   array old <list of current character variables>;
   array newdt {n} ; /* n should be the number of variables on the OLD list*/
                              /* creates varaibles named newdt1 newdt2 or provide desired 
                                 names for the new variables in the order they appear
                                in old */
   do i= 1 to dim(old);
     newdt[i] =input(old[i],anydtdtm.);
  end;
  format newdt: datetime20.; /* make sure your format assignment matches the 
                                               names of the variables*/
run;
epibio2021
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,

I am getting a syntax error:

[cid:image001.png@01D6E2CA.A9D30B60]

I have 39 variables that need to be converted from character to datetime. Based on what you said, this is what I have:

data want;
set have;
array old
var1
var2
var39;
array newdt
var1NEW
var2NEW
var39NEW {39} ;

do i= 1 to dim(old);
newdt=input(old[i],anydtdtm.);
end;
format newdt: datetime20.;
run;

Is there anything else I need to change? Sorry, I am incredibly new at SAS.
ballardw
Super User

Please do not post pictures of errors. Copy the the code of the data step or procedure plus any associated messages, notes or errors, from the log then paste the whole thing into a text box opened on the forum with the </> icon.

The text box is important because the message windows on this forum will reformat text and the diagnostic characters that SAS often supplies will not appear in correct position relative to the code. The text is also preferred because we can copy and suggest changes or highlight typos and such that are not easy or possible at all with images.

A small log file might look like:

99   data junk;
100    x="2018-05-04 13:30";
101    y=input(x,anydtdtm.);
102    format y datetime20.;
103  run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.JUNK has 1 observations and 2 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.06 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

Please notice that this starts with the DATA and ends will the messages associated with the data step.

The Array statement syntax is: the word "array", the name of the array (cannot be the name of an existing variable) then the number of elements and then the variable names. The order is critical.

Your new array with the values you show would be:

array newdt {39} <list the names>.

NO new {39} at the end.

The Format statement I used is to rename variables named Newdt1 Newdt2 Newdt3 etc. Since you created new variable names of Var1new etc. there are no variables of that name.

SAS Large economy sized hint: SAS will use lists of names like Var1 -Var39 to reference sequentially numbered variables. So your first array statement can be much shorter. With that, you will see that it is much easier to use NewVar1 - NewVar39 for the second array:

array newdt {39} NewVar1 - NewVar39;

You likely got a error because you had the "new" variable names just as list without telling SAS how many elements there were in the correct order. The way that the Old works is that is listing existing variables and SAS will treat the first name as the array name and the following ones as elements of the array. When new variables are created you must specify how many. 

Alternatively:

array NewVar{39};

Will 1) name the array and 2) create 39 sequentially numbered variables NewVar1 to NewVar39. If you use this remember to replace the Newdt[i] with NewVar[i].

My code had a typo and should read

newdt[i]=input(old[i],anydtdtm.);

to reference the new array elements. But that would be unlikely to result in an error, just a new variable with the last element.

The most common array errors for new users are 1) not matching the number of array elements which typically will result in an error of "array index out of range" or similar wording, or 2) mixing variable types in the array. SAS will allow only elements of one type, either all character or all numeric variables. If that is the problem there likely needs to be a lot of detail shared.

Another is that you are not getting an actual error but "invalid data" which means the actual value encountered in the INPUT function is of a different actual content. Possibly missing values, which will result in missing new variables or data with seriously different content. If the value is actually only a time without date, or missing any of month, day of month or year then the date is likely invalid and will result in warnings of invalid data. But we need to see the messages.

epibio2021
Obsidian | Level 7
This worked in conjunction with your previous post. Thank you!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation