BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KevinViel
Pyrite | Level 9

I am working with genomics data.  In particular, for my PharmaSUG paper, I am working with the SARS-CoV-2 sequences in NCBI.  I am working a laptop, since my motherboard/memory went out on my tower about two years ago.  It only had 3 (4?) TB with two hard drives anyway.

Just to unzip the sequences, which are in fasta format, I need more space than my entire drive.  I am looking at alternatives, like the ZIP engine covered by Chris Hemedinger in the blogs.

Has anyone used NAS or cloud?  My experience with an external drive has not been great and just to copy files has been "slow".

Quizzically enough, I looked at towers again on Dell and found miniscule hard drives.  Yes, SDD, but even the early genomics I did with Sanger Sequencing puts a dent.  I believe my analytical SAS data sets were 60 GB.  (Oh, just wait until whole-genome sequencing with longitudinal metagenomics, epigenetics, and expression become the fad 🙂 ).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'd suggest a new desktop PC with as much fast SSD storage as you can afford. Desktops are cheaper and more reliable and upgradable than laptops. You could add SSD network drives to your laptop but your CPU processing wont change.

Cloud storage is really designed for backing up and is too slow processing with local computers. It's a different story if you go for a completely cloud solution but I'm assuming here you don't have access to anything like that. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

What kinds of connectIvity does your laptop provide? USB 3.0 or 2.0? 100Mbit or Gbit Ethernet?

If it's only USB 2, but Gbit Ethernet, a NAS with SSDs might be your best bet, but a USB 3 SSD would be much better.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation