BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
x2PSx
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I have an SQL procedure in which I want to aggregate data with a group by procedure. I use a macro variable list because the level of aggregation needed might change. However, there is always one variable that I want to exclude from that list at that step and I don't know how to proceed.

What I have right now:

%LET CATEG = %str(VAR1, VAR2, VAR3, EXCL);
%LET CATEG2 = %str(VAR1, VAR2, VAR3);
proc sql noprint;
	create table WANT as
		select  &CATEG.,
				sum(Nobs_last) as CAT_Nobs_last,
				sum(Nobs) as CAT_Nobs

from HAVE
				group by &CATEG2.
				order by &CATEG.;
quit;

What I would like to have:

%LET CATEG = %str(VAR1, VAR2, VAR3, EXCL);
proc sql noprint;
	create table WANT as
		select  &CATEG.,
				sum(Nobs_last) as CAT_Nobs_last,
				sum(Nobs) as CAT_Nobs

from HAVE
				group by &CATEG. [with an function that let me exclude the var EXCL]
				order by &CATEG.;
quit;

Thank you very much for your time, Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I would recommend building a new macro variable with something like:

%let categ2 = %sysfunc(tranwrd(&categ.,%str(, EXCL), ));
%put &categ2.;

WARNING: The above is CASE SENSITIVE and if you use Excl EXcl or others it will fail. This can be addressed by %upcase your categ variable. variable names in SAS aren't case sensitive so no issue with that.

WARNING: The above is also space sensitive. If you do not always include ", EXCL" with one space it will fail.

I would create a different variable instead of attempting an inline "function", whatever that might have been, because you can get the value of a macro variable when you need to debug something.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

I would recommend building a new macro variable with something like:

%let categ2 = %sysfunc(tranwrd(&categ.,%str(, EXCL), ));
%put &categ2.;

WARNING: The above is CASE SENSITIVE and if you use Excl EXcl or others it will fail. This can be addressed by %upcase your categ variable. variable names in SAS aren't case sensitive so no issue with that.

WARNING: The above is also space sensitive. If you do not always include ", EXCL" with one space it will fail.

I would create a different variable instead of attempting an inline "function", whatever that might have been, because you can get the value of a macro variable when you need to debug something.

x2PSx
Calcite | Level 5
Exactly what I needed, many thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation