BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
daradanye
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a problem about fuzzy find/kindex. 

I have two columns, "All_members" and "Excellent".  I want to generate a new column "Excellent_in" to indicate if "Excellent" is in "All_members".  I usually do this by writing:

if kindex(All_members, Excellent)>0;

However, as it is shown, the name does not perfectly match here. I guess I need some fuzzy find/kindex function here.  I will appreciate it very much if someone can help me with this.  Thanks!

All_membersExcellentExcellent_in
Lee Han llp, Det tet co., 3M Inc.3M1
………………
Vans co, nineng inc., leiwowyu0
Vans co, nineng inc., leiwoleiwo inc1
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

kindex() should not be fuzzy.

I could not replicate from your example sadly.

data _null_;
  A=kindex('Vans co, nineng inc., leiwo', 'leiwo inc');  
  put A=; 
run;

A=0

daradanye
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, ChrisNZ!  

Yes, I understand that kindex could not be fuzzy.  I am asking if there are some functions that can be used to fuzzy matching.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> if there are some functions that can be used to fuzzy matching

Yes, but you have to define the rules yourself.

In the example you give, you could try to simply use index() on strings that have been cleaned: uppercase, no punctuation, no "Ltd" "Inc" "Limited" etc.

Functions that do fuzzy matching include the like and sounds like operators in SQL, the regular expressions matches like function prxmatch(), and the spelling distance functions like spedis() or compged(). It is up to you to define the criteria though.  Each case is different.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation