BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jyuen204
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the following code I am using and the output for a field I need as Date Time Formating

Data DATES;

Format CURRENT_DATE

EXP_DATE

REPORT_DATE

date9.;

CURRENT_DATE = today();

EXP_DATE = today()+8;

REPORT_DATE = intnx('Month',CURRENT_DATE,-1,'E');

Call Symput('CURRENT_DATE',CURRENT_DATE);

Call Symput('REPORT_DATE',REPORT_DATE);

Call Symput('EXP_DATE',EXP_DATE);

In my select statement I use :

Select &CURRENT_DATE format=datetime19. as CREATION_DATE_TIME

but instead of todays datetime, I am getting "01JAN1960:06:09:20"

What am I doing incorrectly? if I use format = mmddyy10. I get the right date, just not the proper format I am after.

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use a date format for your new variable, not a datetime format. A datetime format expects a count of seconds from 1960-01-01:00:00:00, while a date is a count of days from 1960-01-01.

Jyuen204
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry I'm not really following. when I use the below code, the first field comes back with correct date, but the second field using the datetime19. does not.

proc sql;

select &CURRENT_DATE format=mmddyy10. as CREATION_DATE_TIME,

&CURRENT_DATE format= datetime19. as CREATION_DATE_TIME

from BI9146_TMP;

run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Jyuen204 wrote:

Sorry I'm not really following. when I use the below code, the first field comes back with correct date, but the second field using the datetime19. does not.

proc sql;

from BI9146_TMP;

run;

This is exactly what @Kurt_Bremser was telling you. If you format a DATE with a DATETIME format, you get nonsensical answers.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Jyuen204 wrote:

proc sql;

from BI9146_TMP;

run;

That is because a DATETIME format is not suited for DATES, as I explained earlier.

smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

you are trying to format a number that is converted as string to date format. Instead store the value in macro variable with date format.

Data DATES;

Format CURRENT_DATE

EXP_DATE

REPORT_DATE

date9.;

CURRENT_DATE = today();

EXP_DATE = today()+8;

REPORT_DATE = intnx('Month',CURRENT_DATE,-1,'E');

Call Symput('CURRENT_DATE',put(CURRENT_DATE,date9.));

Call Symput('REPORT_DATE',put(REPORT_DATE,date9.));

Call Symput('EXP_DATE',put(EXP_DATE,date9.));

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@Jyuen204,

A DateTime format cannot be directly applied to a Date value.  Date is a count of days, and DateTime is a count of seconds.  I believe to convert a Date value to a DateTime value, you'd have to multiply by 24 x 60 x 60 x 60.  I think that's right, but check me.  Multiplying a Date value by 24 gives the number of days.  Multiplying by the first 60 gives the number of hours.  Multiplying by the second 60 gives the number of minutes.  Multiplying by the third 60 gives the number of seconds.

A simpler approach if you just want the current DateTime value as your creation date might be:

PROC	SQL;
	CREATE	TABLE	WORK.New_Table	AS
		SELECT	DATETIME()	AS	CREATION_DATE_TIME	FORMAT=DATETIME19.
			FROM	WORK.Existing_Table;
QUIT;

Of course you'd need to add additional columns, but the first column would look like the below which I think is what you want, yes?

Results_Set_DateTime_2020-09-02_11-30-22.jpg

Jim

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation