BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I have a time variable in the format of datetime32.4(ex: 21MAR2019:10:19:15.2970) and I'm trying to group the time into the following block such as showing in the SAS code:

proc format;
value timerng
"06:00"t -< "15:59"t= "6:00am - 3:59pm"
"16:00"t -< "21:59"t = "4:00pm - 9:59pm"
"22:00"t -< "05:59"t = "10:00pm - 5:59am";
run;

I received an error message saying the start is greater than the end. Is there any other way to group the time variable into the wanted blocks?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Review this and tell us which observation numbers are incorrect:

data have;
   do time="00:00:00"t to "23:59:59"t;
      output;
   end;
   format time time.;
run;

proc format;
   value timerng
      "06:00:00"t -< "16:00:00"t  = "6:00am - 3:59pm: Daytime"
      "16:00:00"t -< "22:00:00"t  = "4:00pm - 9:59pm: Evening"
      "22:00:00"t -  "23:59:59"t, 
      "00:00:00"t -< "06:00:00"t  = "10:00pm - 5:59am: Overnight";
run;

data want;
   set have;
   time2=put(time,timerng.);
run;

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
"22:00"t -< "05:59"t = "10:00pm - 5:59am"

This is the problem, you can't have 05:59 is the high end of the range because it is less than 22:00

Perhaps what you want is:

proc format;
    "22:00"t-"23:59"t, "00:00"t-"05:59"t = "10:00 pm - 5:59 am";
run;

--
Paige Miller
lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The range worked, but instead of printing in the grouped value ("6:00am - 3:59pm"..etc). The output looks like this:
"1837409536.698"
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Show us the code.

Show us sample data.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User
You have a date time variable but created a time format. You'll need to separate the two first using TIMEPART to have your time correctly set up. Otherwise, especially if you're trying to create groups across dates you'll need a different approach. And do you need any custom calculations for daylight savings time.
lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you for the hint. Timepart() worked!
lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

For some reason the following format does not cover the end point:

proc format;
value timerng
"06:00"t - "15:59"t= "6:00am - 3:59pm: Daytime"
"16:00"t - "21:59"t= "4:00pm - 9:59pm: Evening"
"22:00"t - "23:59"t, "00:00"t - "05:59"t, = "10:00pm - 5:59am: Overnight";
run;

When I do a freq count entries with time equal to 15:59 or 21:59 are all not converted to the categorical group. Does anyone know what is the cause?

This is what I have in return for 9:59pm: 7919.5840001106

Reeza
Super User
That's because you have seconds so 9:59.45 seconds will not be in those intervals. Just put them at the start of the next interval and SAS will sort it out, or use the -< explicitly exclude and include your endpoints.

"06:00"t - < "16:00"t = ......

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/65145/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n03qskwoints2an1ispy5...
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

+1 for the  -< operand in proc format

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Sorry this still did not work.. but I created a conditional statement after dividing time variable into min and second.
Reeza
Super User

Didn't work is vague and could mean anything from doesn't tell us if your computer disintegrated into bits or if you forgot a semicolon. 

You need to provide more information, specifically the code you ran, the log and what isn't working.

@lydiawawa wrote:
Sorry this still did not work.. but I created a conditional statement after dividing time variable into min and second.

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Reeza wrote:

Didn't work is vague and could mean anything from doesn't tell us if your computer disintegrated into bits or if you forgot a semicolon. 

You need to provide more information, specifically the code you ran, the log and what isn't working.

Classic reply @Reeza 🙂 🙂 🙂  Couldn't stop laughing.  Plus it's spot on (but still funny).  Wish I could give this 10 likes.

Reeza
Super User
It's not intended to be mean, and I hope it doesn't come across that way, just that it's such a vague statement that conveys no information.
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Reeza wrote:
It's not intended to be mean, and I hope it doesn't come across that way, just that it's such a vague statement that conveys no information.

No it didn't come across as mean to me, and I hope not to @lydiawawa as well.  I just thought your examples of vagueness, such as the computer disintegrating to bits, as funny.  Perhaps that's just my sense of humor. 

I wonder how you'd post an example of that?  Take a picture and attach it I suppose 😉

lydiawawa
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I just got back from work. Really didn't expect this post can be this controversial lol. Anyways, the dataset I'm dealing with is so large and it is para data. There are no errors in log, no missing semicolons. It might be the dataset is just too messy to be formatted? Thank you for the help!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 4 in conversation