BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TL93
Obsidian | Level 7

Question: I have a character variable where some responses are coded as all numbers, and some responses include letters. Is there a way I can tell SAS to format only the responses coded as numbers as numeric?

Context: My variable of interest is "CAUSE_DEATH" (cause of death) which is a character variable; length 4, format/informat $4. 

Causes of death are coded using ICD-9 and ICD-10 classification system depending on what year my respondent died. ICD 9 codes are 4 digit numbers, whereas ICD 10 codes include a letter as the first digit.

I want to group these deaths into broad categories in the most efficient way possible. Is there a way to tell SAS to format the responses with only numbers (i.e. ICD 9 codes) as numeric, while keeping the ICD 10-coded responses as character? I am using SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1.

Example: One broad cause of death category is Infectious Diseases. ICD 9 codes for this are between 0010 and 1399. ICD 10 codes for this are between A000 and B999. The following code works (for the ICD 10 codes):

proc freq data=lib.datafile;
table CAUSE_DEATH;
where substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='A') or substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='B');
run;

The following code obviously does not work (for the ICD 9 codes):

table CAUSE_DEATH;
where 0010<=CAUSE_DEATH<=1399;
run;

My goal is to be able to do this:

data causedeath; set lib.datafile;
infectious_disease=.;
if 0010<=CAUSE_DEATH<=1399 OR substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='A') OR substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='B') then infectious_disease=1; else infectious_disease=0;
run;

Can someone please let me know the best way to make this possible? I would not want to write out each individual ICD 9 code in my syntax since that would be very time consuming.

Thank you for your time and help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@TL93 wrote:

table CAUSE_DEATH;
run;

Why doesn't it work? Because the variable CAUSE_DEATH is character and not numeric?

If so, the you can convert CAUSE_DEATH to numeric to do the comparison:

where 10<=input(CAUSE_DEATH,4.)<=1399;

and this solves the problem, you can now modify your final code this way as well.

Incidentally, you can also use this to find strings which begin with letters A or B:

where CAUSE_DEATH=:'A' or CAUSE_DEATH=:'B';

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@TL93 wrote:

table CAUSE_DEATH;
run;

Why doesn't it work? Because the variable CAUSE_DEATH is character and not numeric?

If so, the you can convert CAUSE_DEATH to numeric to do the comparison:

where 10<=input(CAUSE_DEATH,4.)<=1399;

and this solves the problem, you can now modify your final code this way as well.

Incidentally, you can also use this to find strings which begin with letters A or B:

where CAUSE_DEATH=:'A' or CAUSE_DEATH=:'B';

--
Paige Miller
TL93
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Paige,

Thank you so much for your response, I think it has answered my question. Yes, CAUSE_DEATH is a character variable. I used the following syntax with your suggestions and it worked:

infectious_disease=.;
if 0010<=input(CAUSE_DEATH,4.)<=1399 or CAUSE_DEATH=:'A' or CAUSE_DEATH=:'B' then infectious_disease=1; else infectious_disease=0;
run;

Sorry for my ignorance, I wasn't aware that I can do the conversion in a "where" (or in this case "if") statement. Does this permanently change my CAUSE_DEATH format? I would like to keep it as a character variable so that my ICD 10-coded responses are not altered. I need to have the letter in front of the ICD 10-coded responses so that I can continue to make other groupings.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@TL93 wrote:

I wasn't aware that I can do the conversion in a "where" (or in this case "if") statement. Does this permanently change my CAUSE_DEATH format? I would like to keep it as a character variable so that my ICD 10-coded responses are not altered. I need to have the letter in front of the ICD 10-coded responses so that I can continue to make other groupings.

CAUSE_DEATH is unchanged (which you could confirm simply by looking at the data set).

A numeric version of CAUSE_DEATH is used in the IF statement, but this numeric version of CAUSE_DEATH is not stored in the data set. 

--
Paige Miller
TL93
Obsidian | Level 7
Got it! Again, thank you very much for your help!
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Looks like a candidate for special user-defined in/formats.
That separates the definition of the "group" from the coding which is logically straightforward
..... Is this candidate one of the required group .....
If input( cause_death, user_informat. ) ;
34reqrwe
Quartz | Level 8

FYI: You can do size comparisions of character variables . e.g. '1' < '2' .   Characters have an order, and one can be less than another.

However be careful , as '10' < '2' also . 

In your case you are OK though because you have leading zeros . Therfore you could just do this.

infectious_disease=.;
if '0010'<=CAUSE_DEATH<='1399' OR substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='A') OR substr(CAUSE_DEATH,1,1='B') then infectious_disease=1; else infectious_disease=0;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation