BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have a hospital data set with a list of 18 variables showing whether each patient was admitted to the hospital in the last 18 years (1=yes, 2=no) (I have some other variables that I do not want to change). In a new variable (number_of_admissions_to_hospital) I want to count how many times each patient was admitted to the hospital in the last 18 years.

ID Y_2000  Y_2001  Y_2002 .... Y_2018   number_of_admissions_to_hospital

1       1             1           2                 2                                    2

2       2             1           2                 2                                    1

3       1             1           2                 1                                    3

I appreciate it if you help me to add number_of_admissions_to_hospital to the variables of my data set.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
proc transpose data=have out=long (drop=_name_);
by id;
var y_:;
run;

proc sql;
create table want as
  select
    id,
    sum(case
      when col1 = 1
      then 1
      else 0
    end) as number_of_admissions_to_hospital
  from long
  group by id
;
quit;

As usual, a long dataset layout makes the coding simple.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
by id;
run;

proc sql;
create table want as
  select
    id,
    sum(case
      when col1 = 1
      then 1
      else 0
  from long
  group by id
;
quit;

As usual, a long dataset layout makes the coding simple.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, KurtBremser. So, with other variables in my data set, how does the long version of the data works? Then I need to return to the wide version of data. This new variable will be just a covariate that I will use in regression analysis and I need to work with the wide format of the data.  

I found ways to concatenate a list of character or numeric variables. I wonder if there is a function that I use to calculate the sum of values for these years where my Year values are 1 (that is individuals were admitted to hospital).

Thank you!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In my opinion, covariates in regression analysis (or any modeling) are the exception to the rule where you should prefer long data sets to wide. I would still create the data set long, as Kurt Bremser has done, do as much analysis as you can for using the long data set, and then for regression use PROC TRANSPOSE to return it to wide.

--
Paige Miller
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Excellent! Thank you KurtBremser and PaigeMiller. Both your comments helped me to count the number of hospital admissions. How may I do similar steps for 2 sets of variables and create 2 new variables. I have another set of 7 variables for different infections and I want to count in total, how many infections each individual had. This is only for the last year's data (7 observations for each individual for the last year).

I tried adding a second set of variables in the PROC TRANSPOSE step, and I saw the variables in the long format but I could not make the loop to count 1's in those 7 variables.
by id;
var infection_:;
run;

Thank you!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
proc sql;
create table want as
  select
    id,
    sum(case
      when col1 = 1 and upcase(_name_) like '%Y'
      then 1
      else 0
    sum(case
      when col1 = 1 and upcase(_name_) like '%INF'
      then 1
      else 0
    end) as number_of_infections
  from long
  group by id
;
quit;

Add additional conditions as needed to the CASE clauses.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you very much, KurtBremser!
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, KurtBremser. I cannot figure out what does the following part does. May you please help me with that?

and upcase(_name_) like '%Y'

Thank you!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

_NAME_ is a variable created by the TRANSPOSE procedure, it holds the name of the variable that was transposed to this particular observation.

Here, I select for the values of all entries where the former variable name started with a Y, either upoer or lower case.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation