BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kivey
Calcite | Level 5

I am running a marco that iterates through all variables in my dataset, and for each variable, runs a hpfmm procedure. The marco works perfectly until it reaches a variable for which there is a floating point error, in which case, the macro terminates

This is a snippet of my code and its associated error

proc hpfmm data = nf_allgpr_s4_div_ge3 seed=12345 ;
model gprPWY_5971_s4 = / kmin=1 kmax=3 dist=STUDENT ;
ods output ConvergenceStatus=myConvergenceStatus ;
run;

ERROR: Floating Point Overflow.

ERROR: Termination due to Floating Point Exception
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

I have tried the above program with proc fmm, and get the same issue

My questions are 

• How can I get SAS to stop producing the floating point error?
  • If that is not possible, how can I get my macro to continue to iterate to the next variable in my dataset, rather than terminating the program, when a floating point error arises?

Thank you so much for your input

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You should report the floating-point overflow to SAS technical support. Include the data for the gprPWY_5971_s4 variable and the information about your SAS version.

1. You can try rescaling the gprPWY_5971_s4 variable. Use PROC MEANS to see if that is a likely problem. Sometimes data that has extreme ranges (eg, a range of values such as [0, 1e9]) can lead to overflows. If the variable has a wide range, try using PROC STDIZE to rescale.

2. To skip the variable use the DROP statement in your macro:

proc hpfmm data = nf_allgpr_s4_div_ge3(DROP=gprPWY_5971_s4 ) ...

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation