BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to flag the treatment if certain conditions are met but I don't want to flag it again for the same patient. The condition here is, if the patient is taking drug A. B, C or D for the very first time and the ENROL_FLAG = "Y". If the first condition doesn't get satisfied then the second condition is that ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and the DAY_DIFF > 180.

Also if the patient is receiving two or more treatment on the same day where he is meeting this criteria all the observations should get flagged.

The code I wrote is,

data WANT;

set HAVE;

by ID DATE;

if first.ID and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" then TRT_FLAG= "Y";

else if ENROL_FLAG="Y" and DAY_DIFF > 180 then TRT_FLAG="Y";

run;

This is how my data looks like:

ID      DRUG           DATE           VISIT           ENROL_FLAG        DAY_DIFF

1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          D          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          A          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

1          D          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .

2          B          26JUN2016             2                        Y                        365 

3          C          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          B          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

3          B          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

The result I am getting is:

ID      DRUG           DATE           VISIT           ENROL_FLAG        DAY_DIFF       TRT_FLAG

1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .                     Y

1          D          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .                     

1          A          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22                   

1          D          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .                    Y

2          B          26JUN2016             2                        Y                        365                  Y

3          C          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .                    

3          B          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193                 Y

3          B          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

The result I want:

ID      DRUG           DATE           VISIT           ENROL_FLAG        DAY_DIFF       TRT_FLAG

1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .                     Y

1          D          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .                     Y  

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .                    Y

2          B          26JUN2016             2                        Y                        365                  

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193                 Y

3          B          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193                 Y

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @NickS2  Thank you. Right, Sounds much simpler than I thought, Can you please try the below and let me know. The logic is as follows:

1. If visit=1 and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" , then flag=y

2. Should the above (1) is satisfied no more processing needed for a particular ID

3. If 1 is not satisfied, look for visits>1 and check for ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and datediff>180 and flag all those that satisfy this conditions.

If the above 3 is correct, the following should do-

data want;
 do until(last.id);
  set have;
  by id ;
  trt_flag=' ';
  if visit=1 and ENROL_FLAG = "Y"  then do;
   trt_flag="Y";
   _n_=0;
  end;
  else if _n_ and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and DAY_DIFF>180 then trt_flag="Y";
  output;
 end; 
run;

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
DavePrinsloo
Pyrite | Level 9

You need to use the retain statement!   Use it so that TRT_FLAG keeps it value as you go through the data.   

NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the reply Dave but if I will use the retain statement as you suggested it is flagging all the observations for that ID which I don't want. I just want to flag only those observations which are meeting the criteria I suggested above.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @NickS2  It seems to me the datediff> condition doesn't quite make sense, 

data have;
input ID      DRUG $          DATE :date9.          VISIT           ENROL_FLAG  $      DAY_DIFF	;
format date date9.;
cards;
1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          D          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          A          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

1          D          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .

2          B          26JUN2016             2                        Y                        365 

3          C          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          B          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

3          B          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193
;

data WANT;
 if _n_=1 then do;
   dcl hash H () ;
   h.definekey  ("drug") ;
   h.definedone () ;
 end;
 do _n_=h.clear() by 0 until(last.id);
  set HAVE;
  by ID ;
  TRT_FLAG=' ';
  if  ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and  h.check()ne 0 then do;
   TRT_FLAG='Y';
   h.add();
  end;
  output;
 end;
run;
NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Novino,

I ran your code but it is flagging the ID number 2's both visits which I don't want.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

"Thank you Novino,

I ran your code but it is flagging the ID number 2's both visits which I don't want."

Hi @NickS2 Are you sure that's the case. Did you really look at the results carefully? Here is my test and results-

data have;
input ID      DRUG $          DATE :date9.          VISIT           ENROL_FLAG  $      DAY_DIFF	;
format date date9.;
cards;
1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          D          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

1          A          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

1          D          21MAY2019            2                        Y                          22

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .

2          B          26JUN2016             2                        Y                        365 

3          C          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          B          03MAR2015            1                        N                          .

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

3          B          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193
3          B          13MAR2016             2                        Y                        193
;

data WANT;
 if _n_=1 then do;
   dcl hash H () ;
   h.definekey  ("drug") ;
   h.definedone () ;
 end;
 do _n_=h.clear() by 0 until(last.id);
  set HAVE;
  by ID ;
  TRT_FLAG=' ';
  if  ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and  h.check()ne 0 then do;
   TRT_FLAG='Y';
   h.add();
  end;
  output;
 end;
run;

proc print noobs;run;

RESULTS:

results.PNG

NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

@novinosrin  the results are not as expected when I applied this code to my dataset as there are patients who have taken different drug after a gap of more than 180 days and that is why it is flagging them again.

For example if the patient ID 2 is taking C drug in his second visit then this code will raise the TRT_FLAG again.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can you post a more comprehensive sample plz?

NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

@novinosrin

ID      DRUG           DATE           VISIT           ENROL_FLAG        DAY_DIFF

1          A          29APR2018            1                        Y                           .

2          B          27JUN2015             1                        Y                           .

2          B          26JUL2015              2                        Y                         29

2          C          26JUN2016             3                        Y                        365 

2          C          27JUL2016              4                        Y                         31

3          C          12SEP2015             2                        Y                        193

3          D          15OCT2016            3                         Y                        388

3          D          14NOV2016            4                         N                         29

4          B          01NOV2014            1                         N                          .

4          B          28NOV2014            2                         N                          27

4          B          23DEC2014            3                         N                          25

4          B          01AUG2015            4                         N                        247

5          D          12MAR2015            1                         Y                          .

5          D           09APR2015            2                         Y                         28

5          D           03MAY2015            3                         Y                         22

5          C           10JUN2016             4                         Y                        401

5          C           03JUL2016              5                         Y                         24

I expect one patient to be flagged only once for a particular visit if he/she meets the criteria. The criteria is either it has to be patients first visit and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and if this criteria is not satisfied then irrespective of the visit the ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and DAY_DIFF>180 days.

Also if the patient has multiple record when he/she is meeting the criteria then all the records should be flagged. Like for patient ID 1, as he is meeting the criteria in his first visit, both the records should be flagged for treatment.

Thank you

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @NickS2  Thank you. Right, Sounds much simpler than I thought, Can you please try the below and let me know. The logic is as follows:

1. If visit=1 and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" , then flag=y

2. Should the above (1) is satisfied no more processing needed for a particular ID

3. If 1 is not satisfied, look for visits>1 and check for ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and datediff>180 and flag all those that satisfy this conditions.

If the above 3 is correct, the following should do-

data want;
 do until(last.id);
  set have;
  by id ;
  trt_flag=' ';
  if visit=1 and ENROL_FLAG = "Y"  then do;
   trt_flag="Y";
   _n_=0;
  end;
  else if _n_ and ENROL_FLAG = "Y" and DAY_DIFF>180 then trt_flag="Y";
  output;
 end; 
run;
NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you @novinosrin, it worked flawlessly.

I have one more question. Can I delete the all the records for the patients who did not meet the treatment criteria and previous date records of the patients who meet the treatment criteria?

To be more precise I don't want any records of the patients who did not meet the treatment criteria but want to keep all the records of the patient who meet the treatment criteria except those records which are pre-dated to the treatment criteria met date.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@NickS2  Are you asking just to keep the records if trt_flag="Y" ?

Or "but want to keep all the records of the patient who meet the treatment criteria except those records which are pre-dated to the treatment criteria met date." -Am i missing something here?

For example, if trt_flag="Y" qualifies for 7 records in the given sample output. So a subset would mean tweaking the current

Output;

to  if trt_flag='Y' then output;

NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

@novinosrin 

I want to keep all the records of the patient who meet the treatment criteria except those records which are pre-dated to the treatment criteria met date.

Thank you

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

so is it just

if trt_flag='Y' then output;

in place of 

output;

NickS2
Obsidian | Level 7

@novinosrin

This just gives me the records which are flagged and not the after date records of the patient who got flagged. Like for patient ID 1 the first record gets flagged so I want all the 4 records for that patient but for patient ID 3 the third record gets flagged then I want all the records after third record (including third record).

I hope you got my point.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation