BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PhatRam33
Fluorite | Level 6

Howdy all!  I have a list of claims and I am trying to flag those claims where a member's next claim was within 45 days and for a different drug.  Essentially, the ask is to look to see if a member has filled multiple drugs within 45 days.

This is the code I have built so far.  Have commented out some of what I was testing:

Dummy sample (what is in bold needs to be flagged):

SRC_MEMBER_ID FILL_DT DRUG_NM DRUG_CLASS duration
11111111 17-Jan-22 DRUGA MIGRAINE .
11111111 8-Feb-22 DRUGA MIGRAINE 22
11111111 9-Feb-22 DRUGB MIGRAINE 1
22222222 10-Mar-22 DRUGC MIGRAINE 29
22222222 25-Mar-22 DRUGC MIGRAINE 15
22222222 19-Apr-22 DRUGD MIGRAINE 25

proc sort data=work.tbl_dup_conseq_01b;

by src_member_id fill_dt drug_nm drug_class;

run;

data work.tbl_dup_conseq_02;

set work.tbl_dup_conseq_01b;

/*by src_member_id drug_nm drug_class;*/

duration = intck("day", lag(fill_dt), fill_dt);
do until(last.drug_nm);
if first.drug_nm and duration <= 45 then flag = "Y";
end;
/*drop duration*/;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

The apparent infinite loop is in the code:

do until(last.drug_nm);
end;

The loop will not stop until the last obs for a given drug has been encountered.  But the loop does not actually proceed through the data, so the last.drug_nm condition will never occur. 

Now this diagnosis is appropriate when the BY statement is uncommented.  As it is (with the BY commented out), prior to you terminating the data step, you should get NOTEs on your log like

NOTE: Variable last.drug_nm is uninitialized.
NOTE: Variable first.drug_nm is uninitialized.

You can do without the loop entirely, with (untested code):

by src_member_id drug_nm drug_class;

if first.drug_nm=1 and first.src_member_id=0 and duration<=45 then flag = "Y";
  drop duration;
run;

Editted addition:  The BY statement should match the BY statement in the proc sort, i.e.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What is wrong with the code you show?

Please provide example data as working SAS data step code (Instructions)

--
Paige Miller
PhatRam33
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried to run my code however, looks like it is in an infinite loop. Keeps running without completion.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes thats what happens when you comment out the BY statement, and then try to look for a value (last.drug_nm) that is produced via the BY statement.

Please in the future, when you know the symptoms of a problem, please don't withhold that information from us.

--
Paige Miller
mkeintz
PROC Star

The apparent infinite loop is in the code:

do until(last.drug_nm);
end;

The loop will not stop until the last obs for a given drug has been encountered.  But the loop does not actually proceed through the data, so the last.drug_nm condition will never occur. 

Now this diagnosis is appropriate when the BY statement is uncommented.  As it is (with the BY commented out), prior to you terminating the data step, you should get NOTEs on your log like

NOTE: Variable last.drug_nm is uninitialized.
NOTE: Variable first.drug_nm is uninitialized.

You can do without the loop entirely, with (untested code):

by src_member_id drug_nm drug_class;

drop duration;
run;

Editted addition:  The BY statement should match the BY statement in the proc sort, i.e.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

PhatRam33
Fluorite | Level 6

Almost there.  I tried the code below and it flags each line if duration is <= 45 regardless if member filled for a different drug or not.  Trying to get it to flag where all the conditions are true.  Same member, different drug, and <=45 days if that makes sense. Appreciate all the help.

/*drop duration;*/
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Can you show us a portion of the input data, and the output from this program? 

--
Paige Miller
PhatRam33
Fluorite | Level 6
To add to my reply, I got the code to work by using the lag function for the drug_nm as well and did the trick to satisfy the required criteria.

drug_nm2 = lag(drug_nm);
if drug_nm ^= drug_nm2 and first.src_member_id=0 and duration <= 45 and duration >=1 then flag = 'Y';
run;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
do until(last.id);
end;

Since nothing in the loop can change the value of last.id, this loop will never terminate when there is more than one observation for a drug_nm group. You must have the SET statement in such a DO loop for it to work.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation