BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
e_miller
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, 

I am running a Fisher Exact Test and wanted to ensure that corrections were disabled. I read this piece of documentation but could not find the default corrections or how to disable them for Fisher (if they are even applied by default). 

Could someone clarify the default corrections for Fisher (or chi-square test) and how to disable them? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watts
SAS Employee

Fisher's exact test doesn't include any corrections. 

Documentation is here: Fisher's Exact Test and Exact Statistics.

The CHISQ option in PROC FREQ produces several chi-square tests and statistics.  

For more information, see the documentation here: Chi-Square Tests and Statistics.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Watts
SAS Employee

Fisher's exact test doesn't include any corrections. 

Documentation is here: Fisher's Exact Test and Exact Statistics.

The CHISQ option in PROC FREQ produces several chi-square tests and statistics.  

For more information, see the documentation here: Chi-Square Tests and Statistics.

e_miller
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I just wanted to post a followup and ask about Yate's corrections in chi-square tests. I see in this post and this other sas forum post that the continuity correction is included as a different value ('Continuity Adj. Chi-Square'). 

However, when I run my tests in sas 9.4, I see the all of the same chi-square values except for the continuity chi-square value. I wanted to see whether sas9.4 included Yate's correction by default or if I need an additional option to enable it. 

Thanks!

Watts
SAS Employee

The CHISQ option in the TABLES statement (in PROC FREQ) produces several chi-square tests and measures, which include the continuity-adjusted chi-square for 2x2 tables. You don't need to specify a separate/additional option to request the continuity-adjusted chi-square.

PROC FREQ computes the continuity-adjusted chi-square by using the Yates (1934) correction. For details, see the subsection "Continuity-Adjusted Chi-Square Test" in the section Chi-Square Tests and Statistics

This correction (Yates 1934) was developed to improve the chi-square approximation for 2x2 contingency tables in which the sample sizes (cell expected frequencies) are small. Generally speaking, continuity corrections are not heavily used these days for contingency tables because exact tests are now available. 

For 2x2 tables, Fisher's exact test is automatically produced by the CHISQ option. For larger tables, you can request Fisher's exact test (and other exact chi-square tests) by using the EXACT statement.

Hope this helps. 

e_miller
Fluorite | Level 6

That's very helpful, thank you. I read through the documentation link you posted and saw that the correction is more helpful with smaller sample sizes (like mine). In that case, I'm assuming that the correction is automatically enabled. Since I have a small sample size, would you recommend sticking with a Fisher test?

ballardw
Super User

Show the code you used, or the code generated.

e_miller
Fluorite | Level 6

It's a simple proc freq statement, shown below: 

proc freq data = newSet;
	tables var1*var2 / expected fisher;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation