BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hello,

I have this data;

data test;
input id $ val;
cards;
A .
A .
A .
A 5
A .
A 6
B .
B .
B .
B 4
B .
B .
B 7
; run;

I want this result :

data test;
input id $ val;
cards;
A 5
A 5
A 5
A 5
A 6
A 6
A 6
B 4
B 4
B 4
B 4
B 7
B 7
B 7
; run;

How i can get this result?

Thank you for your help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's one approach (assuming you fix the number of observations in your example):

data want;
do until (last.id or val > .) ;
   set have;
   by id;
end;
replacement_val = val;
   set have;
   by id;
   output;
end;
drop val;
rename replacement_val = val;
run;

The bottom loop reads the same observations as the top loop, but has an additional variable to work with as it outputs observations.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
33pedro
Fluorite | Level 6

I am not quite sure I understand. There are more observations in the second list than in the first one.

If you wanted to carry over the value of val for all missing entries until you get to a new value and then carry that value on until a new value etc you could use the RETAIN statement but it would require careful ordering of the data.

Without another variable to distinguish the observation other than id it will be tricky to assign different values to the same id value.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's one approach (assuming you fix the number of observations in your example):

data want;
   set have;
   by id;
end;
replacement_val = val;
   set have;
   by id;
   output;
end;
drop val;
run;

The bottom loop reads the same observations as the top loop, but has an additional variable to work with as it outputs observations.

mansour_ib_sas
Pyrite | Level 9

thank you for your reply.
I can't visualize the process of treatment including the ability of the program to change the value of replacement_val at the right time.
I know that the condition (or val>.) Has a role.
Thanks again

Astounding
PROC Star

Here are some of the initial steps, to get you thinking about the process correctly.

1. The top loop starts reading in observations.  It finds VAL is 5 on the fourth observation, so that's where the loop stops.
  2. SAS copies the value of 5 into REPLACEMENT_VAL.
  3. The bottom loop starts reading the same observations.  Each SET statement acts independently of other SET statements, so the bottom loop begins with the first observation, and finishes with the fourth observation (VAL=5).
  4. The bottom loop outputs those observations.  Because of the later DROP and RENAME statements, VAL is 5 on all those observations.
  5. The top loop begins again, reading the next set of observations.  The SET statement tracks which observations it has already read, and begins with the fifth observation until it finds another one with a nonmissing value for VAL.

This version of the program never copies VAL from the previous ID.  It always begins again when it finds a new ID.  I assumed that's what you wanted, but could be wrong about that.

mansour_ib_sas
Pyrite | Level 9

Good.

Thank you

Amir
PROC Star

Based on the presented data, looks like by-processing is not required, so your code could be reduced to:

data want;
   do until (val > .) ;
      set have;
   end;

replacement_val = val;

do until (val > .) ;
      set have;
      output;
   end;

drop val;
run;

Amir.

AMSAS
SAS Super FREQ

Here's a different approach that only reads the input data once

data test;
input id $ val;
cards;
A .
A .
A .
A 5
A .
A 6
B .
B .
B .
B 4
B .
B .
B 7
; run;

data want ;
	retain cntr 0 ;
	set test ;
	cntr+1 ;
	if val ne . then do ;
		do i=1 to cntr ;
			output want ;
		end ;
		cntr=0 ;
	end ;
run ;

It counts the number of observations that have a missing value, and then when it gets to an obs that has a value it writes to the output dataset, and resets the counter (cntr)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation