Fluorite | Level 6

Dear All:

I want to get decile groups of multiple variables

The code I am using is 

Proc sort data = have ; by M ; run;

Data Want; set Have NOBS = NUMOBS ;

Decile_M = FLOOR(_N_*10 /(NUMOBS + 1)) ;

run;

But I want these deciles for at least 10 more variables.  I can find the deciles one variable at a time.  Is there an efficient way of constructing the deciles.

Thanx.

Randy

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC RANK with the GROUPS=10 option if you want to assign observations to Deciles.

PROC UNIVARIATE if you just want the decile values.

--
Paige Miller
Nicole_Fox
Obsidian | Level 7

PROC Rank is one of the fastest ways to create deciles in a batch. (The groups=10 option requests the deciles.)

proc rank data=have out=deciles ties=low descending groups=10;
        var M;
        ranks M_score;
run; 

I use this paper when I need to grab code to do this myself:

https://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug09/ap/AP01.pdf

ballardw
Super User

Proc summary will calculate the overall quantiles.

Example:

proc summary data=have;
   var v1 v2 v3;
   output out=work.summary
      p10= p20= p30= p40= p50= p60= p70= p80= p90= /autoname;
run;

Will create the percentiles indicated. The variables will be named v1_<suffix of the percentile>.

Put the variables you want on the var statement. Or don't and you will get percentiles of all the numeric variables. There is a technical concern about which definition may be used for the quantiles whic is controlled by the option QNTLDEF= <a value from 1 to 5>. The default is 5. The details have to do with boundaries for the quantiles and tie breakers.

If you want to know which decile a particular value falls into use Proc Rank with groups=10. Which will add a ranking variable with values of 0 to 9, 0 indicating the value is in the first decile and 9 in the 10th decile.

proc rank data=have out=want groups=10;
   var v1 v2 v3;
   ranks rv1 rv2 rv3;
run;

The output data set will have the decile for v1 indicated in the variable rv1 and so forth.

There is an option for the procedure TIES= that has parameter values of high, low, mean or dense which deals with how to assign ranks for tied values. The default is MEAN

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation