BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bibbnd
Fluorite | Level 6

I need two search a series of 7 variables for the best rate based on the character string of a 4D or 5D. If the best rate has these values then i need to capture their corresponding rate values also. So eventually i want to keep the rates with 4D or 5D and their rate_amts in new fields such as rateA, rateA_amt and rateB, rateB_amt

i started the code like this but not sure how to proceed

data test;

set vgrid;

ARRAY RATE[*] $18 RCOMPARED1-RCOMPARED7;

array rateA[*]  $18;

array rateB[*] $18;

array rateA_amt[*] 10.2;

array rateB_amt[*] 10.2;

DO i to dim;

if index(rate(i), '4D') > 0 OR index(rate(i), '5D') > 0 THEN DO;

*this is where i am not sure what to do next to capture only those rates and their corresponding amts to output    

end;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@bibbnd wrote:

i figured it out

Good job.

Now post your solution so if someone finds this thread in a search for similar problems they can find your solution.

After posting your solution mark it as the accepted solution so people will know there was a solution.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Some sort of complete data might help. And then what the result would be.

If your intent with the Rate arrays was to create multiple variables then your syntax is incorrect. If you intend to reference existing variables you need to name them. If you are creating an array of new variables you have to specify how many variables.

Array RateA (7) ;

would create 7 variables named RateA1, RateA2, ....,RateA7.

If you want to know which element of an array holds a specific value then you use the WHICHC, for character variables, or WHICHN for numeric:

Vnum = whichc('4D', of rate(*));

If Vnum > 0 then somevalue = nameofarray[Vnum];

would return the first position that '4D' is found in the Rate array and then use that value to find the corresponding value in another array.

Details come in with what to do when '4D' or '5D' repeat or are both found in a single observation.

Which is why a more complete example of data with ALL the variables and what you expect the result to be.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Post representative sample data provided via a SAS data step creating the data and show us the expected result using this data.

ballardw
Super User

@bibbnd wrote:

i figured it out

Good job.

Now post your solution so if someone finds this thread in a search for similar problems they can find your solution.

After posting your solution mark it as the accepted solution so people will know there was a solution.

bibbnd
Fluorite | Level 6

data test;

set rates_all;

Format new_best_rate other_rate $18.;

array rate[*] $18 current_rate best_rate ratecompared1 - ratecompared5;

array ramt[*] current_amt bestrate_amt ratecompared_amt1 - ratecompared_amt5;

*intializing new variables;

new_best_rate=' ';

new_bestrate_amt=0;

new_savings=0;

other_rate=' ';

other_amt=0;

do i= 1 to dim(rate);

if indexc(rate{i},'4') > 0 OR indexc(rate{i},'5') > 0 then do;

if new_bestrate_amt ne 0 then do ;

other_rate=rate{i};

other_amt=ramt{i};

end;

else do;

new_best_rate = rate{i};

new_bestrate_amt = ramt{i};

new_savings=(current_amt-ramt{i});

end;

END;

END;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation