BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GBL__
Quartz | Level 8

I know this subject line is not the best, but I am curious if there are any efficiency gains from rewriting a filter:

numeric_variable > 0 AND numeric_variable < 50000

to just be this:

0 < numeric_variable < 50000

I know using subsetting WHERE is better than IF, when possible, but interested to know if there is any background logic that is applied when using filter example #2 that increases efficiency/speed of processing, or if there are performance differences between using them in DATA steps vs. PROC SQL.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

In general SQL is slower than a data step. If nothing else, the implied overhead available for the aggregate functions across observations is an issue. You may not see any practical difference with fewer than many thousands of observations though.

One of the bigger efficiencies, IMHO, is that when I see code with

it is pretty obvious what is intended. Between indentation choices and lengths of statement lines that may not be quit as obvious with the 'and' involved.

That advantage becomes more obvious with more complex expressions like

0 < numeric_variable < another_variable < 50000

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

In general SQL is slower than a data step. If nothing else, the implied overhead available for the aggregate functions across observations is an issue. You may not see any practical difference with fewer than many thousands of observations though.

One of the bigger efficiencies, IMHO, is that when I see code with

it is pretty obvious what is intended. Between indentation choices and lengths of statement lines that may not be quit as obvious with the 'and' involved.

That advantage becomes more obvious with more complex expressions like

0 < numeric_variable < another_variable < 50000

GBL__
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you, @ballardw for your response!  I agree completely that readability is key and was my major reason for using this type of filter/subsetting layout.

Thanks again!

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

AFAIK, there is no difference in efficiency between the two ways of expressing the filter.

The advantage to the second may be, as @ballardw remarked, that it is easier to read. The problem with it is that e.g. a<b<c is a rather specific SAS shorthand, which does not work the same way in other languages (in standard SQL you get a syntax error, and in C++ it may mean something completely different).

GBL__
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your response! I also agree that the 'a < b < c' filtering is rather specific SAS shorthand, but nonetheless is probably most appropriate (in my situation, at least)

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation