BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
orchid_sugar
Fluorite | Level 6

Dataset A has total of 51 numeric and character variables: facility_ID (num), procedure_code0 - procedure_code 24 (char), procedure_date0 - procedure_date24 (num).

Dataset B has only 2 character variables: code (which is same as procedure_code0... not every value in procedure_code0 etc is in the dataset B 'code') and another_code (I need to translate to).

My goal is to extract the procedure_code and procedure_date based on the dataset B, so the final dataset will only have 3 columns/variables: facility ID, procedure_code_extracted, procedure_date_extracted.

My pseudocode came out as below:

DATA extracted;

SET dataset A;

ARRAY procedure_Code (25) procedure_code0 - procedure_code 24;

DO i = 1 To 25;

IF procedure_Code(i) = database B's code THEN procedure_code_extracted = procedureCode(i)

also get the location of that matched procedureCode(i) [row, column]

use that location to find procedure_date from procedure_date0 - procedure_date24 and input under procedure_date_extracted

if there is several matches in a row, make a new line for the subsequent match and repeat

End;

I am not sure how to make this logic into actual running SAS code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you want to transpose A and then join/merge it with B.

data a_wide;
  set a;
  array p procedure_code0-procedure_code24;
  array d procedure_date0-procedure_date24;
  do index=1 to dim(p);
     procedure_code = p[index];
     procedure_date = d[index];
     if not missing(procedure_code) then output;
  end;
  drop procedure_code0-procedure_code24 procedure_date0-procedure_date24;
run;

proc sort;
  by procedure_code;
run;

data want;
  merge a_wide (in=in1) b(in=in2);
  by procedure_code;
  if in1 and in2;
run;

If you wanted to use your proposed DO loop instead then I would suggest converting B into a FORMAT that converts procedure_code into the value of the other variable in B.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Could you please provide small example data sets — let's say 2 facilities and 3 procedure_codes and 3 procedure_dates in data set A, and the corresponding data set B? We would also need to see the desired output from this small example data.

--
Paige Miller
orchid_sugar
Fluorite | Level 6

Please see attached as an example: 

*patient_id is not unique, so patient 1 from facility 123 is not the same as the patient 1 from facility 234.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@orchid_sugar wrote:

Please see attached as an example: 

*patient_id is not unique, so patient 1 from facility 123 is not the same as the patient 1 from facility 234.

I think @Tom has the answer ... but if that's not the right answer, please understand that we cannot use data in Excel. In addition, downloading Excel files (or any Microsoft Office files) is a security threat, so many people will not download Excel files. Please type (a portion of) the data into your reply.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you want to transpose A and then join/merge it with B.

data a_wide;
  set a;
  array p procedure_code0-procedure_code24;
  array d procedure_date0-procedure_date24;
  do index=1 to dim(p);
     procedure_code = p[index];
     procedure_date = d[index];
     if not missing(procedure_code) then output;
  end;
  drop procedure_code0-procedure_code24 procedure_date0-procedure_date24;
run;

proc sort;
  by procedure_code;
run;

data want;
  merge a_wide (in=in1) b(in=in2);
  by procedure_code;
  if in1 and in2;
run;

If you wanted to use your proposed DO loop instead then I would suggest converting B into a FORMAT that converts procedure_code into the value of the other variable in B.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation