BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've a macro variable and it resolves to date value as follows.

SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable FIRSTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH resolves to 01SEP2018
24         %put FirstDayofReportingMonth = &FirstDayofReportingMonth;
FirstDayofReportingMonth = 01SEP2018
25         %put LastDayofReportingMonth  = &LastDayofReportingMonth;
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable LASTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH resolves to 30SEP2018
LastDayofReportingMonth  = 30SEP2018

Now I need to extract the data based on date value and I should not hard code the date value. Therefore I tried to to filter the data with the use of macros, but I'm getting the error as mentioned below. Appreciate if someone of you tell me to know to extract the data with the help of date macro.

/*ERROR-1*/

68         /*      where KNDTOP between '01sep2018'd and '30sep2018'd*/
69         	  where KNDTOP between &FirstDayofReportingMonth. and &LastDayofReportingMonth.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable FIRSTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH resolves to 01SEP2018
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable LASTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH resolves to 30SEP2018
NOTE 138-205: Line generated by the macro variable "FIRSTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH".
69          01SEP2018
              _______
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !!, *, **, +, -, /, AND, ||.  

/*ERROR-2*/

68         /*      where KNDTOP between '01sep2018'd and '30sep2018'd*/
69         	  where KNDTOP between '&FirstDayofReportingMonth.'d and '&LastDayofReportingMonth.'d
ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant '&FirstDayofReportingMonth.'d.
ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant '&LastDayofReportingMonth.'d.

5 REPLIES 5
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

You need double quotes!

where KNDTOP between "&FirstDayofReportingMonth."d and "&LastDayofReportingMonth."d
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If my macro variable resolves to 20180630, I'm unable to resolve this with double quotes. See the error below. May I know what I'm missing here?

7262             and F_CLM_CLAIM_EOM.REPORTING_DATE_SK = "&LASTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH."d
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable LASTDAYOFREPORTINGMONTH resolves to 20180630
ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant "20180630"d.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is invalid to create a date value of "20180630"d.

It is valid to create a date value of "30JUN2018"d.

Thus, you should be creating macro variables that have values formatted as 30JUN2018, or better yet (this is the preferred solution) don't use formatted dates here, just use that actual date value, unformatted, and you won't need double quotes and you won't need the letter d after the final double quote. Formats are so humans can understand the date value; SAS doesn't need this, and so it is a waste of time to format the values so humans can read it and then "unformat it" by putting the date in double quotes with the letter d after it.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do a google search for "sas date literals", and study the results.

You've been told about this here on the communities repeatedly, eg in https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Date-variable-calculation/td-p/425702 and https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Char-to-num-for-DATE/td-p/497722

If your memory is THAT leaky, you should consider other endeavors than working with SAS, as it requires one to keep at least the important things that were learned once.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation