BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

I have data that contains a range of numbers with a variable called flag for each range. It looks like this:

range flag
'10040-10040' 0
'10060-10061' 1

I'd like to expand this to a dataset that looks like this. 

number flag
10040 0
10060 1
10061 1

It's easy to define the beginning and end of the range but not sure exactly how to write the right do loop for this. I'd appreciate any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

First question, do your "range" values actually have quote marks as a SAS data value?

If the values actually contain the quote character:

data want;
   set have;
   if flag then do number = input(scan(range,1,"'-"),8.) to input(scan(range,2,"'-"),8.);
        output;
   end;
   else do;
      number=input (scan(range,1,"'-"),8.);
      output;
   end;
run;

If not

data want;
   set have;
   if flag then do number = input(scan(range,1,"-"),8.) to input(scan(range,2,"-"),8.);
        output;
   end;
   else do;
      number=input (scan(range,1,"-"),8.);
      output;
   end;
run;

Hard to see but there is a single quote inside the double quotes in the Scan function in the first version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

First question, do your "range" values actually have quote marks as a SAS data value?

If the values actually contain the quote character:

data want;
   set have;
   if flag then do number = input(scan(range,1,"'-"),8.) to input(scan(range,2,"'-"),8.);
        output;
   end;
   else do;
      number=input (scan(range,1,"'-"),8.);
      output;
   end;
run;

If not

data want;
   set have;
   if flag then do number = input(scan(range,1,"-"),8.) to input(scan(range,2,"-"),8.);
        output;
   end;
   else do;
      number=input (scan(range,1,"-"),8.);
      output;
   end;
run;

Hard to see but there is a single quote inside the double quotes in the Scan function in the first version.

chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

The variable is a string in which the numbers are surrounded by quotes.  

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ
data have;
LENGTH range $ 20;
input range	$ flag;
range_wo_quotes=compress(range,"'");
start_range=input(scan(range_wo_quotes,1,'-'),12.);
stop_range =input(scan(range_wo_quotes,2,'-'),12.);
cards;
'10040-10040'	0
'10060-10061'	1
;
run;
data want;
 set have;
  do number=start_range to stop_range;
  output;
 end;
run;
/* end of program */
chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. This code works and is very helpful.

Reeza
Super User
This is pretty close to this question here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/I-need-to-turn-a-range-of-values-i-e-A0259-B3548-into...

The answer will also be very similar.
chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks - this works, but could you help me understand the logic of this code - what does it mean for "if flag" to be true versus false?

chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

Never mind, I answered my own question.

ballardw
Super User

@chuakp wrote:

Never mind, I answered my own question.

You might play around with SAS numeric values and the results of logic functions.

In general SAS resolves any logic result to 1 for true and 0 for false:    If x=3 then  <do something>, for instance becomes If 1 then when x is indeed 3 or 0 otherwise. So when you have a 1/0 coded variable then IF Variable behaves that way as well.

Other numeric values will be treated as true. Exercise left to the interested reader.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation