BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sas_Act_114
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am pulling data from a database using PROC SQL and there is a WHERE condition I am unsure on how to input. The pull is one table with several columns (variables) and I want to exclude rows when two of the columns have a specific value each.

As an example, call the columns Alpha and Beta. If in one row, Alpha has the value C and in that same row, Beta has the value X, I do not want that row in the pull. But if Alpha has the value C and Beta has any other value but X, or if Beta has the value X and Alpha has any other value but C, I do want those rows. Any help on this is appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Sas_Act_114 

Try this in the inner select: where NOT (Alpha = "C" and Beta = "X")

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Some concrete example of the sources and then the desired result.

In general SQL does not have a concept of "row order". There would have to be some other criteria provided to join the data on, or are you doing a full Cartesian Join of all rows from each table?

Sas_Act_114
Fluorite | Level 6

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough in the original post. There is no joins, I am simply pulling the data from one table, which even that I do not believe to be relevant. For all intensive purposes, this just involves one table (or dataset if you will) with several variables/columns in the one table. As an example of the table (with just 3 columns):

ID  Alpha  Beta

1       C        X

2       P        X

3       C        T

4       P        T

5       C       X

When I pull this table, I want it to keep rows 2, 3 and 4, excluding 1 and 5 due to the Alpha having C and Beta having X. The pull is very simple, it is simply (code edited with general table name and source):

PROC SQL;
CONNECT TO ODBC;
CREATE TABLE TEST1 AS
SELECT *
FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC
(
SELECT *
FROM SOURCE.TABLE 

);DISCONNECT FROM ODBC;

I am looking for a where statement that will not include rows 1 and 5, as shown in the example above.

ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Sas_Act_114 

Try this in the inner select: where NOT (Alpha = "C" and Beta = "X")

Sas_Act_114
Fluorite | Level 6
This was the command I needed, worked perfectly, thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation