BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jaskir
Calcite | Level 5

My company just started implementing a policy that all Excel documents are now required to have a sensitivity label assigned. The immediate result was these excel files would generate a violation for a simple LIBNAME filename XLSX statement. Any thoughts on how to get around the sensitivity label?

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

They must have done something wrong that messed up the validity of the XML files in the XLSX file.

The sensitivity labels my company makes us add to XLSX files does not cause trouble when reading the file with SAS.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

720  libname x xlsx 'c:\downloads\16digits.xlsx';
NOTE: Libref X was successfully assigned as follows:
      Engine:        XLSX
      Physical Name: c:\downloads\16digits.xlsx
721  proc copy inlib=x outlib=work; run;

NOTE: Copying X.XXX to WORK.XXX (memtype=DATA).
NOTE: BUFSIZE is not cloned when copying across different engines. System Option for BUFSIZE was used.
NOTE: The import data set has 1 observations and 3 variables.
NOTE: There were 1 observations read from the data set X.XXX.
NOTE: The data set WORK.XXX has 1 observations and 3 variables.
NOTE: PROCEDURE COPY used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds
Jaskir
Calcite | Level 5

That is good to know. What version of SAS are you running on? I am running on 9.4 On Prem.

These files worked just fine before the sensitivity label as assigned. The label was "proactively" added to the workbooks with no other changes. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.4 (TS1M5)

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I wonder if "proactively added" is code for "we wrote a Python script". Instead of "we automated Excel to open and alter the file in a supported way."
Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Applying sensitivity label may cause encryption or restrictions in the use of  excel files.
You can try to access the file from SAS bytreating the file as a password protected file. This paper lists some approaches https://www.mwsug.org/proceedings/2013/FS/MWSUG-2013-FS04.pdf

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation