BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Larrihoover
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there a pre - built quartile function that ties to excels percent.inc() function? I found one that works in R which I can use proc iml to do the trick but was trying to see if there was one in SAS. I can code the logic if needed but my question was more in search of a pre built in way to do this as follows:

proc means data= look  p75 p90 qtldef=1;
class periodid;
var num_lt_660 ;

output out=look_qrtl (drop = _type_ _freq_ ) p75= p90= /autoname;
where periodid = &m_date;
run;

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

I'm not really clear on what you're looking for, but perhaps these are close. 

I usually use PROC RANK  with group = 100 to get the percentiles but it can do various other calculations or groupings. 

PROC UNIVARIATE will also calculate any percentile level. 

Larrihoover
Obsidian | Level 7

Based on the R definition, type one is what excel is doing and type 3 is what SAS is doing. I have tried all of the qtldef and pctldef and was wondering if there was a pre built way to tie to the type 1 definition that I did not see.

Q[i](p) = (1 - γ) x[j] + γ x[j+1],

where 1 ≤ i ≤ 9, (j-m)/n ≤ p < (j-m+1)/n, x[j] is the jth order statistic, n is the sample size, the value of γ is a function of j = floor(np + m) and g = np + m - j, and m is a constant determined by the sample quantile type.

Discontinuous sample quantile types 1, 2, and 3

For types 1, 2 and 3, Q[i](p) is a discontinuous function of p, with m = 0 when i = 1 and i = 2, and m = -1/2 when i = 3.

Type 1
Inverse of empirical distribution function. γ = 0 if g = 0, and 1 otherwise.

Type 2
Similar to type 1 but with averaging at discontinuities. γ = 0.5 if g = 0, and 1 otherwise.

Type 3
SAS definition: nearest even order statistic. γ = 0 if g = 0 and j is even, and 1 otherwise.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation