BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hi everyone. I am trying to use PROC IMPORT to import XLS file.

If i use dbms=csv, i will not hit any error.

Here is the thing, if i set dbms = xls, i will get below error:

"Spreadsheet isn't from Excel V5 or later.  Please open it in Excel and Save as V5 or later

Requested Input File Is Invalid

ERROR: Import unsuccessful.  See SAS Log for details."

So i temporary remain csv for now. However, the file is xls format.

Also another question, is there a way for SAS to read formulated final value that cells have formula in excel? By using csv option(not sure is caused by csv or not), the loaded data is the formula instead of the formulated value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Then you likely never had an xls file. You had a tab delimited file that someone changed the extension on and that Excel happened to open correctly. Note that a CSV file means comma separated variables. Since your delimiter is not a comma or semicolon (french) and the delimiter is tab, specify that alone, not CSV because that's incorrect.

@imdickson wrote:

Hi Guys! Problem solved.

I retain dbsm=csv but adding delimiter option of tab.

This way, it can read properly as i suspect the file is in xls but with some xml or scripts in it.

I thanks everyone that gave me guidance and explanation. I really appreciate your effort and I wish you good luck.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

have you tried xlsx 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What version of SAS are you using? 

Are you running SAS on a Windows machine? Do you have Excel installed on that machine? Did you try using the DBMS=EXCEL?

Why is your XLS file using an old version of the XLS format?  Can you just save it as an XLSX file instead?

CSV files are just text. If the value in the CSV is the formula then you created the CSV file with the wrong options.

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

@VDDI tried xlsx but it gave me error. I havent go back to my work laptop now but i can post the error later.

@TomSAS 9.4, running SAS EG and DI on windows machine and the excel is installed on the machine. However, SAS server were hosted/installed on Linux server and excel spreadsheets are all stored in the linux server. I've tried DBMS=excel but it prompt errors. Unfortunately, I am out of town for the next 9 hours. I will try to show the error to you 10 hours later when using DBMS=Excel.

The files are all in XLS format. There are more than 500 of them, maybe even more than 1000 as i havent check folder by folder. There is no way for me to change the format nor do i tell my user to save it manually to xlsx as those are generated by another system handled by another team.

The file that i am reading is xls. Is there a way for me to capture the calculated value? If tweaking the DBMS or other options can work, i would be more than happy to learn about it Tom.

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Guys. I managed to borrow laptop from others to remote connect.

When i use DBMS = XLSX, i get error below:

ERROR: Error opening XLSX file -> /data/source/ttt/Files/Central/ABBA/Central_ABBA_11_201401.xls.xlsx .  It is either not an Excel spreadsheet or it is damaged.   Error code=8014900A
Requested Input File Is Invalid
ERROR: Import unsuccessful.  See SAS Log for details.

When i use DBMS=Excel, i get error below:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.excelout DATAFILE= "/data/source/ttt/Files/Central/ABBA/Central_ABBA_11_201401.xls"
29                     DBMS=excel REPLACE;
ERROR: DBMS type EXCEL not valid for import.

The only option that i can use is csv but it will not take in the formulated value.

I hope there is a workaround here.

My Proc Import statement:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.excelout DATAFILE= "/data/source/ttt/Files/Central/ABBA/Central_ABBA_11_201401.xls" 

DBMS=excel REPLACE;
getnames=no;
RUN;
Reeza
Super User
Can you attach a copy of the file that you believe is xls? Sometimes people put an xls extension but the underlying file is HTML or CSV. Excel will still open the files correctly.
imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Sure, you may have a look at it but SAS Forum restrict me from doing so with this error @Reeza

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

@ReezaI managed to zip it. You may have a look at the xls file.

Reeza
Super User

The file is XLT, not XLS, so SAS is correct. 

You can use VBS to convert the files automatically, or do it manually, but you'll likely have to change the type. Or you can try specifying it as xlt and see what happens. 

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/878e585102c14e01581f55dbe972d27e

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @Reeza, kindly refer to my new upload.

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Guys! Problem solved.

This way, it can read properly as i suspect the file is in xls but with some xml or scripts in it.

I thanks everyone that gave me guidance and explanation. I really appreciate your effort and I wish you good luck.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I am glad your problem is solved but this whole conversation makes no sense.

You started off saying you were getting errors importing an XLS file.  You ended up posting an XLS file that SAS can read with no problems and then saying that you solved the problem by importing a CSV (delimited text file) with TAB as the delimiter.  Does that mean you changed the files somehow?  Or that they were never XLS files to begin with?

Reeza
Super User

Then you likely never had an xls file. You had a tab delimited file that someone changed the extension on and that Excel happened to open correctly. Note that a CSV file means comma separated variables. Since your delimiter is not a comma or semicolon (french) and the delimiter is tab, specify that alone, not CSV because that's incorrect.

@imdickson wrote:

Hi Guys! Problem solved.

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8
Reeza, I think I uploaded the wrong file as I was trying to save the original excel into many different extension for testing purpose. Let me reupload it back when I got back my work desk. I appreciate for your patience and effort.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation