BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Q1983
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am attempting to get a file to email a message and an attachment. The outfile was defined as:

/f1/file09/sascode/reporting/dev/output

The report out information was defined as follows:

%Let ReportName=Capital99_Report_;
%let ReportOut=&ReportName.&today;
%put REPORTNAME=&ReportName;
%put REPORTOUT=&ReportOut;

proc export
data=final
outfile="&outdir/&ReportOut."
label
dbms=xlsx
replace
;
run;

The output writes successfully as follows:
NOTE: The export data set has 104421 observations and 31 variables.
NOTE: "/f1/file09/sascode/reporting/dev/output/Capital99_Report_20210617.xlsx" file was successfully created.
NOTE: PROCEDURE EXPORT used (Total process time):

filename MI_email
  email
  to=("myemail@bank1.com") 
  subject="Capital99 Report &today." 
  attach = "&outdir/&ReportOut."
;

data _null_; 
FILE MI_email; 

PUT "Capital99 Report_&today. is now ENCLOSED in this email.  ";

run;  

However I get this error when I run the filename code above
NOTE: The file MI_EMAIL is:
      E-Mail Access Device

ERROR: Error opening attachment file /f1/file09/sascode/reporting/dev/output/Capital99_Report_20210617.
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /f1/file09/sascode/reporting/dev/output/Capital99_Report_20210617.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

Is it because it is not recognizing the .xlsx extention?? I cannot figure out why this happens because the file clearly writes to the /f1/file09/sascode/reporting/dev/output drive

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Does your attachment file name include the file extension? It appears not to. So the code is looking for a file without any extension.

If you want to attach some file named "thisfile.txt" you must use something that resolves to "thisfile.txt", not "thisfile".

Reeza
Super User

Code blocks are for code, put your text in the body of the message. The point of these separators is to make the post more legible and easier to understand, putting everything in one box entirely defeats that purpose.

And yes, you're missing the extension so the file is not attached. What would happen if you have multiple files with the same name and different extensions?

Change attach to :

attach = "&outdir/&ReportOut..xlsx"
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

For clarity, use this in the PROC EXPORT statement:

outfile="&outdir/&ReportOut..xlsx"

and later

attach = "&outdir/&ReportOut..xlsx"

in the FILENAME.

It seems that the EXPORT procedure adds a filename extension on its own if none is supplied.

Q1983
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
This works. I am even able to get the attachment to show in an email. When I try and open the excel I get a corrupt email message. I believe its because the file has 104,000 records although xlsx is supposed to handle this size. I changed the dbms from xlsx to the sequence below:
dbms=EXCELCS
replace
;
SERVER='saspcff';
I get the following error
ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is
spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
ERROR: Connection Failed. See log for details.
I suspect the server name SERVER='saspcff'; Is there a way to use xlsb without reference to a server name or is there a script in sas that would provide the current server name, assuming that saspcff is incorrect??
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Download the Excel file directly from the server, and check if it opens outside of an email. Also do a cross-check with LibreOffice.

It may be that the size of the attachment is limited by constraints imposed on the email.

Your ERROR now happens in a LIBNAME, not in PROC EXPORT.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation