BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GeetVish
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All

I am trying to append two datasets and i am having an error saying XY variables has been defined as both charcter and numeric. The values are all numeric and some missing like blanks and dots but i want to be numeric.Kindly help, please see the code below with the error message :-

Data abc;
 set sourc.data1 sourc.data2;
 Result=input(XY ,best.);
run;

ERROR: Variable XY has been defined as both character and numeric.

WARNING: Variable Result has already been defined as numeric. 

10 REPLIES 10
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

The error message pretty much says it all. Please run this

proc contents data=sourc.data1;
run;

proc contents data=sourc.data2;
run;

and see the variables section. Then convert the XY variable in one of the data sets accordingly. 

@GeetVish , please let me know if this solved your problem or you need further assistance. Remember that the INPUT Function requires a character argument 🙂

GeetVish
Calcite | Level 5
H dray
I am getting all the values as dots now.:(
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please be more specific about what you did and what your data looks like. Did you convert a variable? And what does your log say now?

GeetVish
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry i am working and messaging thats why its short.

So i found which data set has character variables and i am converting that into numeric. I have the variable values as yes , No, slight, exactly and many numbers . When i did the input(XY, best.) i am getting the new variable as just dots.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can you show me some of your data? Please run

proc print data=sourc.data1;
run;

and post the result..

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

So that is your XY variable or? It is clearly a character variable. It makes no sense to represent these values as numbers. 

I may misunderstand you requirement entirely. However, please be more specific if you want a usable code answer. 

GeetVish
Calcite | Level 5
Yes its my XY variable. i need all the values to stay same and need to be in numeric way.
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

First of all, I can barely see any of your data in the attached file.

But let's take a value that I actually can see. You have a character value of "value=60-177". What do you want the numerical representation of that value to be? The data seems very unstructured and you can not simply represent the variable XY as numbers.

GeetVish
Calcite | Level 5
Ok i will think and let you know. Thanks for your guidance .Will come again

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation